How's that retirement penson going?

sdevdutt41
Posted
Posted

I took a huge hit yesterday.  I mentioned that I was down 5.5% last week.  Now it is 18%.  I did make a few buys yesterday but they are losers so far.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The Aussie government just lowered the cash rate to the lowest in 100 years at 0.1% so not earning anything on the cash I have in the bank accounts.  Property capital growth has slowed to pretty much nil but at least (unlike inner city areas) it's not going backwards here and I'm still getting rent income.  Don't really have much in shares right now.

The end result is right now my net worth is decreasing slowly but hopefully that will turn around in a year or two.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Up and down my share are , but all is ok for now. 
Savings well there’s very little interest out there, I’m still getting a little from the accounts and it all adds up .

Been looking at other properties to see about buying but they are just to much or want to much work spending on them.

I still think my plan is working right for us so we shall just carry on doing what we are doing for now.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Shares are going up nicely  , a nice end to this year .

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm happy to see the pound Sterling looking good again thanks to BREXIT and the EU bottling it as any sensible Brexiteer could see. The Thai Baht has really taken off but the US Dollar has taken a pounding. If there's some Americans here on the borderline with their pensions I can see it hurting more in the near future with a change of POTUS.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The Aussie dollar is up against the Philippine Peso which is good (well for me at least).

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just been looking at a few long range predictions for the pound to the peso and touch wood things are looking good.  Not sure what the reason behind it is, maybe the Chinese will want their debts paid off but it was a shock to see in 2005 you got over 104 peso to the pound and in 2016 you got 59 peso.  That's almost a 43% cut. Throw in inflation then take away annual pension increases that's got to hurt some long term retirees.  I read on another forum that ex pats were leaving Thailand in their droves as their pension over the last ten years has more than halved due to exchange fluctuations and inflation.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Not sure what the reason behind it is, 

The Philippine peso tends to follow the US dollar the the USD is dropping against most major currencies.

That's my 2 cents (sorry 1 peso).

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Shares are going up nicely  , a nice end to this year .

One of the few good things this year investments have done very well.

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted

I don't have a pension but although I am already retired for few years I did not even started to withdraw my social security yet, the stock market gains are covering all my expenses plus alot of extra to spare, a nice problem to have...

• Like 2