Spouse trying to deport me (Asawa ko Novela Part 2)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gator said:

Once the wife realizes that her complaint to the BOI (if she’s filed one) had no effect,

I doubt if the BOI can act on a complaint without a police statement or charge. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

They work pretty much the same as they do in our home countries. If you are not rich, you pay for the attorney that you can afford. The expensive lawyers have connections with the Government prosecutors. Chances are pretty much zero if you go against someone with money.:shades:

I agree that world wide the justice system definitely favors those who can afford the expensive attorneys.  Google "justice innocent versus rich" and you will see article after article and examples.  The Philippines is certainly not the only country where money triumphs over justice, or lack of money can dramatically increase your chances of being found guilty.   I remember reading years ago where attorneys in the United States were polled with the question ; "If you were charged with a crime would you rather be innocent or have the financial means for a top notch attorney?"  A majority chose money over innocence when it came to staying out of prison.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I agree that world wide the justice system definitely favors those who can afford the expensive attorneys.  Google "justice innocent versus rich" and you will see article after article and examples.  The Philippines is certainly not the only country where money triumphs over justice, or lack of money can dramatically increase your chances of being found guilty.   I remember reading years ago where attorneys in the United States were polled with the question ; "If you were charged with a crime would you rather be innocent or have the financial means for a top notch attorney?"  A majority chose money over innocence when it came to staying out of prison.

Didn't appear to work to well in the case of  Harvey Weinstein.

• Haha 4

TimL
Posted
Posted
On 3/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, Gator said:

Although the OP seems to be following the right course as far as getting legal advice concerning immigration and deportation, I’d be less worried about that then getting arrested on a false charge. Once the wife realizes that her complaint to the BOI (if she’s filed one) had no effect, then I would not be surprised if she tried to file a complaint with the police for rape, spousal abuse, child abuse, etc. Even if later proved to be untrue, the OP could spend months, if not years in jail proving his innocence. The court system here is extremely slow.  And given his medical condition I doubt even a few nights in a Philippines jail would bode well for him. 

IMHO I’d find out via the attorney if I can legally leave the country and then do so ASAP. Once away and safe then consider options as far as the child is concerned. As harsh it may sound, you may have to resign yourself to never seeing him again. 

There it is. That would be my greatest fear in all of this. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I guess I mostly hear about the unsuccess stories.

This is the case for all of us and why many have such a negative impression of so many places, including here. Bad news travels fast. 

Saying that, my gut feeling is that I'd rather take my chances with the legal system in my home country than here.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

my gut feeling is that I'd rather take my chances with the legal system in my home country than here.  

Interesting thought HK but I wonder how that could have any effect on what is happening to to the OP :89:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Interesting thought HK but I wonder how that could have any effect on what is happening to to the OP :89:

A good question, Jack.  He's caught between a rock and a hard place - stay here and try to fight a system that tends to be stacked against outsiders or try to get back to the USA and fight any battle he needs to from there which would bring different challenges.  

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

This is the case for all of us and why many have such a negative impression of so many places, including here. Bad news travels fast. 

Saying that, my gut feeling is that I'd rather take my chances with the legal system in my home country than here.  

The legal system in your home country will have no bearing on the legal system of other countries. Sometimes it helps to talk to your embassy for solutions.:no:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

The legal system in your home country will have no bearing on the legal system of other countries. Sometimes it helps to talk to your embassy for solutions.:no:

I know that's generally true - I was simply saying I would trust the legal system in my own country before the one here.  But, let's not forget that foreign judgements can be applied here as well provided it is brought to a court here for validation. Again, I'm not so sure I'd want to rely on that system when here but it exists.