Expats moving from Thailand to Philippines?

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe a little of topic how ever for those of us like me complaining here, after reading an article on Thailand we have nothing to complain about.

The Thai baht has powered ahead non stop. The article was about Retirees and how their living standards have fallen due to strength of the baht, plus many new restrictions from the Thai Government on expats.

Supposedly there are many packing up and seeking so called greener pastures. 

Edited by Old55
Moved from (retirement pension)
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, RBM said:

Ah... That's why we are seeing a few posts by boys looking to move to Philippines... Very clear to me now...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good point RBM, it would be interesting to read that article.

Do you guys think the same thing could happen in the Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RBM said:

Yep.  Philippines is going the same way in my opinion so I found greener pastures.  

• Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  Philippines is going the same way in my opinion so I found greener pastures.  

Greener but infinitely colder, lol.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eddie1 said:

Greener but infinitely colder, lol.

True, but Dave has a way to keep warm there.

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

The Thai baht has powered ahead non stop. The article was about Retirees and how their living standards have fallen due to strength of the baht, plus many new restrictions from the Thai Government on expats.

This issue has been going on for quite awhile now and more so visa regulations but I also think from watching youtube and people living there that many dont know its not that hard to remain legale with your visa.  

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good point RBM, it would be interesting to read that article.

Do you guys think the same thing could happen in the Philippines?

After buying my last crate of SM Super Dry (March increase)  I think so. As a matter of interest I searched for beer in NZ supermarkets and low an behold.......about the same price as what I pay whole sale here.

Big difference is having a drink in a resto pub, NZ prohibitory expensive, here its no doubt shot up although still far cheaper than the West.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

After buying my last crate of SM Super Dry (March increase)  I think so. As a matter of interest I searched for beer in NZ supermarkets and low an behold.......about the same price as what I pay whole sale here.

Big difference is having a drink in a resto pub, NZ prohibitory expensive, here its no doubt shot up although still far cheaper than the West.  

I think inflation here is lower than it was a couple of years back - just my gut feeling. Yep, beer has jumped up from 28php to 42php in the 5 years i've been here but that's down to the sin tax perhaps, and other products have not jumped up so much - my taxi ride still costs what it did 5 years ago for example.  The peso has not appreciated against the dollar as far as I can see during that 5 years.  

As for the restrictions on expats, yes, it seems that there may be some signs of a stricter approach but isn't that for those on a Tourist Visa - for me on a 13a there has been no changes at all.  

As always, individual circumstances will make a place more/less expensive and easy to live for expats.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 3/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, RBM said:

And maybe younger girls and drier parking lots?