Subic-Clark Railway Controversy

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They (BCDA) have been planning a freight rail system from Subic to Clark for quite some time.  Since 2016.  Just last week they handed out invitations to a meeting about the impact on residents of our neighborhood, which is called Kalayaan.  Specifically, they only handed them out to residents of branch of the neighborhood call Greyback.

Since last week, all the residents have been speculating what this means and nobody is happy.  I am not directly impacted as my house is not near the area.  However, it appears they will build a giant tunnel under that area of the neighborhood!  The biggest controversy is that many people have invested heavily in that area for the past few years and were never told about this.  SBMA has known the route for quite some time.

The meeting is ongoing right now and I am watching on FB Live.  It is hard to follow but I should know more after if finishes.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They (BCDA) have been planning a freight rail system from Subic to Clark for quite some time.  Since 2016.  Just last week they handed out invitations to a meeting about the impact on residents of our neighborhood, which is called Kalayaan.  Specifically, they only handed them out to residents of branch of the neighborhood call Greyback.

Since last week, all the residents have been speculating what this means and nobody is happy.  I am not directly impacted as my house is not near the area.  However, it appears they will build a giant tunnel under that area of the neighborhood!  The biggest controversy is that many people have invested heavily in that area for the past few years and were never told about this.  SBMA has known the route for quite some time.

The meeting is ongoing right now and I am watching on FB Live.  It is hard to follow but I should know more after if finishes.

The meeting was deemed a failure by the residents.  1.5 hours and the only thing revealed was a vague map with no technical details.  We had seen the map.  The p 60 billion contract is supposed to be awarded at the end of the month.  Chinese money, Chinese contractor, Chinese engineering.  The Chinese Embassy chose 3 contractors for a short list.

The tunnel is supposed to be at least 50 meters under the housing.  50 m is the limit at which they do not have to purchase right of ways or property.

• Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

A tunnel at 50 m depth ?

So what's the problem ?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, graham59 said:

A tunnel at 50 m depth ?

So what's the problem ?

Do you have some experience to share?  Most residents think that there would be noise and vibration from the heavy diesel freight trains.  I have no idea.  Also, haz mat is of concern.  It is supposed to be mainly ocean containers.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you have some experience to share?  Most residents think that there would be noise and vibration from the heavy diesel freight trains.  I have no idea. 

Melbourne loop is between 30 and 40 meters under the CBD of Melbourne and trains run every 3 minutes around the loop.  It's been there for a long time and you wouldn't know it was there unless you take the escalators down to the underground stations.  NB they are electric trains not diesel.

I suspect there are too many variables to give a definitive answer but 50 meters of ground is quite a barrier to sound and vibration.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

As a former tunneller, and resident of London (which sits above a very large underground rail system), I concur with GeoffH.

No cause for concern. 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, graham59 said:

As a former tunneller, and resident of London (which sits above a very large underground rail system), I concur with GeoffH.

No cause for concern. 

Thanks!  Some are saying it might even be 100 m.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

So if they are contemplating a railway between clark and subic why are they going to all the trouble and expence of putting a second carriageway on the clark to subic expressway. I assume more filipino joined up thinking in action again.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's a trap!

Chinese loan to build something that may or may not be useful for the most part by Chinese workers in Philippines. I don't know what it is the CCP has on the president but he is their puppet.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:shades: Oh dear, we seem to all want progress here in the PI with regard to Travel Infrastructure but don't seem to like the Upsets, Planning or the way things happen :smile: 

• Like 1