Has anyone ever brought a pet parrot?

Babysrealdad
Posted
Posted

I have a 20 year age African Grey Parrot since she was 6 week of age. I am in Cebu at this time looking for land for sale and have in my mind. What if I can not bring my Baby. Baby is her name. Has anyone expierienced bringing a bird into the Philippines? She has never needed a vet and has potential to live much longer than 20. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Babysrealdad said:

I am in Cebu at this time looking for land for sale

Buying in a Filipinos name? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Babysrealdad said:

Has anyone expierienced bringing a bird into the Philippines? 

I think most people prefer to pick up a bird once they get here!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Babysrealdad
Posted
Posted

However. This bird speaks with my voice. Knows my everymove and is family. Like my only child. Its impossible get a 20 year relationship with a pet here in a store. I never clip her wings, she flies freely in our home. She is totally potty trained and never poops on my shoulders.  When something scares her off my shoulders outside she always comes right back to me. This can't be bought anywhere in the philippines. This kind of relationship takes years of love, kindness and understanding.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Apparently an African Grey Parrot will live for between 40 and 60 years - it will likely outlive all of us!   

Babysrealdad
Posted
Posted

The truth is. Birds, animals,humans all have an expected life span. However genitics,diet habits and exercise all shorten or expand these lifetime expectancies. 3 years ago when I was walking on the boardwalk in Ocean City New Jersey, a much elder man approached me because he saw my African Grey (Baby) hanging out on my right shoulder. All he had to say to me was. He owned the same bird and his lived until it was 92 years of age. My parrot gets great exercise. In fact last summer she flew to the top of one of our forest trees. 75 feet right up. A parrot with little exercise tires out too quickly to do this. She also eats lots of special bird food made exclusively for parrots and has all (90) essential nutrients. Hopefully I can bring her here to Cebu. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Babysrealdad said:

I have a 20 year age African Grey Parrot since she was 6 week of age. I am in Cebu at this time looking for land for sale and have in my mind. What if I can not bring my Baby. Baby is her name. Has anyone expierienced bringing a bird into the Philippines? She has never needed a vet and has potential to live much longer than 20. 

I  cannot advise you about this. I can only give you positive thoughts. I love birds, especially parrots that talk.  African Greys are so way cool. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can bring Baby here - I would love to meet her...

Babysrealdad
Posted
Posted

Yea. Shes so cool. Our babysitter has informed us that Mahala Baby! I warned her husband that his wife would form a bond and want one once we come back for her. His wife is filippina also.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I do not know of anyone who has brought in a parrot.  After some research I did find this and it would indicate you may have a problem?  I did not post the entire appendix tables because it is large file.  But I did do a copy paste of the "parrot" section and did a highlight in red.  Good luck.

The grey parrot (Psittacus erithacus), also known as the Congo grey parrot, Congo African grey parrot or African grey parrot, is an Old World parrot in the family Psittacidae

Psittacus erithacus in listed in appendix I of the CITES.  CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is an international agreement between governments. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.

https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

Psittacidae Amazons, macaws, parakeets, parrots

Amazona arausiaca

Amazona auropalliata

Amazona barbadensis

Amazona brasiliensis

Amazona finschi

Amazona guildingii

Amazona imperialis

Amazona leucocephala

Amazona oratrix

Amazona pretrei