Attn: Subic Bay Vets

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Attn: Subic Bay Vets or anyone looking for a piece of U.S. military history!

Jack Walker of RAO Subic just had this in his newsletter.  If you were ever based in Subic, it might be a nice memory to have, and the proceeds go to charity.  I'll probably get one if the price is not too much.  I'm not sure what Jack has in mind as far as possibly shipping them, but I will find out.

WANT TO BUY A BRIDGE, or maybe a piece of it?- As most are aware the Magsaysay Ave. bridge (affectionately known as Shit River Bridge), spanning the gap between SBFZ and the city, is scheduled for demolition and replacement by a 4 lane bridge with covered walkway, once again to act as the main artery to and from the rapidly expanding, Freeport Zone. The RAO and some veteran members (The SRB Memorial Society) have attained the rights to the bridge debris, and are in the process of developing and designing a souvenir (think DMZ Barbed Wire or Berlin Wall) which will be authenticated and serialized, and offered at a reasonable price. The proceeds from the project will be dedicated to the charities in the area.  Demolition is anticipated to begin in the next couple of months and souvenirs, are expected to be available shortly thereafter. Hopefully this will be a highly successful venture as the proceeds will be a huge help to the recipients. The bridge was built in the early sixties, and millions of

U S Service members have crossed it on their way to adventure. Many have fond memories of the kids in Bangka boats, diving for coins in the murky waters of the drainage canal.  We will keep you advised on the progress as we go along.  Have a great month!

@Jake

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Attn: Subic Bay Vets or anyone looking for a piece of U.S. military history!

U S Service members have crossed it on their way to adventure. Many have fond memories of the kids in Bangka boats, diving for coins in the murky waters of the drainage canal. 

@Jake

Indeed, many fond memories.  Or at least some that I could remember.  Thank you Don!

Respectfully Jake, former PADI certified coin diver.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jake said:

Indeed, many fond memories.  Or at least some that I could remember.  Thank you Don!

Hey Jake, I think I said a bit about this before but now it is 99% official.  My 3 daughters will all attend George Dewey High School, now known as Manila Times College of Subic, effective this next August!  They already moved the current students in for the balance of this school year, and new students will start in August.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Hey Jake, I think I said a bit about this before but now it is 99% official.  My 3 daughters will all attend George Dewey High School, now known as Manila Times College of Subic, effective this next August!  They already moved the current students in for the balance of this school year, and new students will start in August.

Wow, that's some great news!  Does that mean you have a valid excuse to spend the whole day wandering around Freeport before you pick up your daughters in the afternoon.  By the way, how's the military activity there?  More traffic going in and out of Subic Bay?  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Do you get a little bottle of the water to go with the piece of debris.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Actually I don't think it's water. :shades:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Good idea!  Maybe a little bottle with a coin in it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Good idea!  Maybe a little bottle with a coin in it!

What so that you can slowly watch it desolve, a bit like our pensions.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jake said:

I remember crossing that bridge dearly, and many times. I also remember that some dick%ead once in awhile would throw some coin sized washers into the water so the kids would come up empty handed. Bad joke.:Mad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I remember crossing that bridge dearly, and many times. I also remember that some dick%ead once in awhile would throw some coin sized washers into the water so the kids would come up empty handed. Bad joke.:Mad:

During the peak of Vietnam war, Olongapo City was one of the favorite R&R port visits.  The photo below depicts a slow day.  Usually you will have side by side banca boats with young pretty girls with large bamboo cones to catch the coins thrown from above.  They would hawk -- hey Joe, throw me coin. lub you no chit.

Some coins are purposely thrown outside the reach of the girls and that's when the "coin divers" go into action.  Olongapo River (Shit River) is the main drainage into Subic Bay.  You can imagine all the dead and live bio-hazards floating and sinking to the bottom where the coins are deeply embedded in that muck.  

It was their livelihood and apparently a good one during that time.  
shit river.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love it 1