Those infernal paint cans

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We do a lot of painting on various projects.  I like Boysen, does a good job.  But someone shoot me in the head if I have to open one more of these infernal plastic cans.  What kind of masochist designed these?  It usually takes one of us to hold it down while the other performs surgery with a knife and a screwdriver to work the damned thing loose.  Give me a metal paint can any day.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I agree they are a pain in the a$$ to open.  After cutting that plastic strip I then use a screwdriver to attempt and pry a little.  Then its my finger tips that feel the pain.  Pulling and pulling until I finally get an edge up.  Must be an easier way. Please tell me.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I agree they are a pain in the a$$ to open.  After cutting that plastic strip I then use a screwdriver to attempt and pry a little.  Then its my finger tips that feel the pain.  Pulling and pulling until I finally get an edge up.  Must be an easier way. Please tell me.

A 9 mm shot from a handgun will to the job, ease your frustration too... but makes a hell of a mess and then you can't seal the can again after...:smile:

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Easy answer. I just painted the inside of my Bahay Kubo last weak. Purple. Couldn't get the plastic bucket opened after half an hour. Trike drivers line up on the corner near our house so I asked one of them to come over and help me open the can. He had it open in less than 5 sec. just by lifting it up. My fingers must be getting old. :mellow:

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

He had it open in less than 5 sec

Grrr..  The skinny boy in our office can carry a full 5 gallon water container in each hand, holding them by the neck, up the stairs.  I might could manage one right handed, but no way left handed.  Getting old! 

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Having painted my whole house top to bottom in the last 6 months I can empathise 100%.  I cannot for the life of me imagine why they thought the design was good other than to minimise spillages during transportation and storage - it certainly wasn't done with the customer in mind.  I did manage to locate the small tab which needs to be pierced first to then allow the strip to be removed.  I really appreciated the simplicity of the old tin can of enamel which I also used!  

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Youtube vids.

On one they us large coins under the lid to spare the fingers , while placing downward pressure with your knee in the center.

On another they use a 5-in-1 tool's cutting edge to slice from the top down and the pry/pop the now independent sections up one after another.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I find that swearing up a blue streak helps a little. :whistling:

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Glad its just not me, I use a pair of pliers to remove the plastic strip. Then its finding a bit of plastic to open the lid with the pliars.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Just opened another one.  3 tools required:  needle nose pliers to grip the little strip, cutting blade to provide relief cuts, and a flat tip screw driver.  Crikey. 

England was the first place I ever saw plastic paint cans, but I want to say those had a screw off lid if I remember correctly.  Good for pouring.