U-turns legal or not

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Today I got a friendly warning from a traffic control motorcycle officer, that U-turns after the 'flyover' bridge are not allowed.  This U-turn was performed not on the bridge, but on the road proper, in a section just after the flyover.  A place where businesses line both sides of the road, and there are parking lots to turn left into.  There was not any "no U turn" signs present, nor any obstructions between the road lanes, just wide open space.  I could have turned left into a parking lot apparently, but the U-turn was verboten.  A "Cardinal Sin" were the officer's words.  

Mrs. Boggs is fuming.  How could I not know this simple rule?  This is not the US, etc.  I noted that "no U-turn" signs are quite common here, we see them every day, so when there is no sign then it must be OK.  Nope, you should know better Mr. Boggs.  Now go sleep on the porch tonight haha. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

'flyover' bridge

Terminology is different around the country……...here in Manila "flyovers" refer to privately run toll roads.

Here in manila U turns and other illegal actions are done all the time, right in front of enforcers on the public roads.

However on the toll roads, subdivisions and the new "commercial" barangays like Asiana they don't have enforcers but private security who are authorized to boot the illegal parkers and ticket driving violators, it is amazing how drivers obey traffic laws in those areas...

I asked a Filipino friend who worked in Japan for 20 years, why that is...….he said Filipinos lack discipline. I countered "no they lack SELF discipline!"

• Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Oof, I could write a book about what is 'wrong' with the design of roads, turnouts, and intersections here.  Phil's seems to have copied the "U-turn" gap in the center divider from China.  Craziest impediment to traffic flow I've ever seen, and used EVERYWHERE there are major streets. 

This morning we had another spat in the car about Right turns on red.  Since no-one else will do it, Mrs Boggs is sure that it must be illegal.  I told her I'm going to get a copy of the traffic rules to prove her wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

This morning we had another spat in the car about Right turns on red.

How about left turns at traffic lights with left arrows AND green lights where it is clearly signed that "Left turn must yield on green?" And nobody does it, even when there isn't another car in sight. I have done it when at the front of the line several times and those behind me did not follow. They probably thought I was a serious law offender. Yet I imagine most of them would make U turns in the middle of the road next to no U turn signs?:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Oof, I could write a book about what is 'wrong' with the design of roads, turnouts, and intersections here.  Phil's seems to have copied the "U-turn" gap in the center divider from China.  Craziest impediment to traffic flow I've ever seen, and used EVERYWHERE there are major streets. 

This morning we had another spat in the car about Right turns on red.  Since no-one else will do it, Mrs Boggs is sure that it must be illegal.  I told her I'm going to get a copy of the traffic rules to prove her wrong.  

Doesn't there need to be a sign allowing right turns with caution on reds. So not in every case. Found out a few days ago from a very polite traffic officer that a flashing red light is a stop and go condition not a proceed with caution condition.

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Right on red should be allowable unless there is a sign not to.  But I'm putting my US traffic law into the mix before actually reading the PH law on the matter.  I'm going to look this stuff up and make another post about it. 

• Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Right on red should be allowable unless there is a sign not to.  But I'm putting my US traffic law into the mix before actually reading the PH law on the matter.  I'm going to look this stuff up and make another post about it. 

Just going by my recent experience of sitting in SBMA in the right turn lane  behind a driver using it to jump the cue going straight on and there was a sign saying turn right with caution when red.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I told her I'm going to get a copy of the traffic rules to prove her wrong

Good luck, I have been looking for them for 8 years, even went to the LTO asking for a kopy (was met by blank stares)

All I can find is individual Republic acts about individual rules. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, scott h said:

was met by blank stares

Can so much relate to that:bonk:

• Haha 1