TV Plus antenna

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Ok I have 3 TVs so need 3 TV Plus  boxes. In UK I have one antenna and an active splitter in the roof space, does anyone know or have done something similar here in the Philippines. I'm thinking a 20 foot GI pipe with an aerial, not one of tbose little stick things, with a cable into the roofspace then distribute to the different rooms. I suspect asking a local would result in the normal 1000 yard stare.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Ok I have 3 TVs so need 3 TV Plus  boxes. In UK I have one antenna and an active splitter in the roof space, does anyone know or have done something similar here in the Philippines. I'm thinking a 20 foot GI pipe with an aerial, not one of tbose little stick things, with a cable into the roofspace then distribute to the different rooms. I suspect asking a local would result in the normal 1000 yard stare.

I've seen the splitters for sale here and it's standard coaxial cable as far as I can see so don't see why it wouldn't work the same as in the UK.  The only issue I can see would be making sure the GI pipe was well anchored.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would depend upon the signal strenght that you get from the antenna and the signal strength needed for a reliable signal at each box and the loss in the coaxial cable and the loss in the splitter.

You could compensate for a low signal with a mast head amplifier and use a passive splitter (best) or run the cable to a powered amplified splitter box (not as good) or run cable to a non-amplified splitter box (weakest signal at the TV plus units).  But your choices are probably limited to the products available in the Philippines and I haven't seen either mast head amplifiers or amplified splitters here although Lazada do have passive splitters available.  NB the amplified splitter 'ships from overseas'.

It may be that the third option is good enough but without measuring the signal at the antenna you're in the dark and guessing, normally I'd suggest using a signal meter but it's not worth buying one for a single installation.

Example amplified splitter

Example passive splitter

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was thinking along the line of a powered splitter.. run as short as possible from rhe antenna to the splitter tben the longer legs to the TVs. Wilcons had single boosters and one to two boosters but not one to three. 

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Try not to skimp on the coax, there are various types of 75ohm coax available and they have less or more loss of signal over a given distance (normally they're rated in db of loss per 100 feet or db of loss per 30 meters).  Other things being equal a thicker coax will generally have lower loss (and probably cost more).

RG6 TV coaxial cable will have lower loss than RG59 coaxial cable but either will work, I would suggest using RG6 if you can' find it but by all means keep the lengths of coax as short as needed to cover the distance.  Whilst you won't break anything by buying pre made cables that are too long and coiling up the excess you will have more loss (might or might not be enough to matter). 

And you might come across other cable types, what you're looking for is 75 ohm coax not 50ohm coaxial cable.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Try not to skimp on the coax, there are various types of 75ohm coax available and they have less or more loss of signal over a given distance (normally they're rated in db of loss per 100 feet or db of loss per 30 meters).  Other things being equal a thicker coax will generally have lower loss (and probably cost more).

RG6 TV coaxial cable will have lower loss than RG59 coaxial cable but either will work, I would suggest using RG6 if you can't find it but by all means keep the lengths of coax as short as needed to cover the distance.  Whilst you won't break anything by buying pre made cables that are too long and coiling up the excess you will have more loss (might or might not be enough to matter). 

And you might come across other cable types, what you're looking for is 75 ohm coax not 50ohm coaxial cable.

It would be nice to get hold of some 1694A but if available probably a bit pricey.

Jake
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It would depend upon the signal strenght that you get from the antenna

Excellent point Geoff.  I would imagine Gary that you have talked to your neighbors' TV OTA (over the air) reception and how many channels are coming in strong.  Where are the nearest TV transmitter towers looking from your roof top?  

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

Excellent point Geoff.  I would imagine Gary that you have talked to your neighbors' TV OTA (over the air) reception and how many channels are coming in strong.  Where are the nearest TV transmitter towers looking from your roof top?  

Several of the relations have tvplus so we tried it in the front apartment, sort of worked but froze and stuttered a bit. I think out the back with a 20 foot pipe and decent aerial it should do the job.

• Like 3