Western world has lost its mind

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The OP may sitting in a calm place while the western world panics, but methinks the feces is just now hitting the oscillation blades of the air moving machine here. 

Speaking of ATMs and panic buying.  Yesterday I went to get some cash.  This was fairly early in the morning, maybe 8:30 and the mall was not yet open.  There was a couple already using the ATM and one man waiting.  I have no idea how long the Philippine couple had been using the machine, but as I waited they pulled six consecutive maximum draws from the machine.  I was not "snooping" she would count as the money arrived then stuff in the man's pocket.  So at a minimum, they pulled 60,000 peso from the machine.  The man waiting then did two pulls so I am thinking he pulled 20,000 peso.  I would not be surprised if the ATMs run out of cash today.  Later in the day we went shopping and while the number of people was about the same, the quantity of food being bought was much higher.  For example the man behind me had a shopping completely filled with 10 kilo bags of rice.  My wife says most of the locals are paid on Friday and the stores may be jammed on Saturday.  And as others have posted, this is just getting started in the Philippines.  Imagine what will happen when this flu hits a squatter area. :sad:

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The only ones panic buying are the ones with money the rest who buy for a couple of days or only for that day are going to get hungrier, a was going to say hungry, pretty quick.

• Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Gary D said:

The only ones panic buying are the ones with money the rest who buy for a couple of days or only for that day are going to get hungrier, a was going to say hungry, pretty quick.

But those buying for a couple of days usually buy from the local market.  No reason to suspect there won't be food there.  We may run out of imported goods, sure.  Stock up on your shampoo and such.  

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

The OP may sitting in a calm place while the western world panics, but methinks the feces is just now hitting the oscillation blades of the air moving machine here. 

Speaking of ATMs and panic buying.  Yesterday I went to get some cash.  This was fairly early in the morning, maybe 8:30 and the mall was not yet open.  There was a couple already using the ATM and one man waiting.  I have no idea how long the Philippine couple had been using the machine, but as I waited they pulled six consecutive maximum draws from the machine.  I was not "snooping" she would count as the money arrived then stuff in the man's pocket.  So at a minimum, they pulled 60,000 peso from the machine.  The man waiting then did two pulls so I am thinking he pulled 20,000 peso.  I would not be surprised if the ATMs run out of cash today.  Later in the day we went shopping and while the number of people was about the same, the quantity of food being bought was much higher.  For example the man behind me had a shopping completely filled with 10 kilo bags of rice.  My wife says most of the locals are paid on Friday and the stores may be jammed on Saturday.  And as others have posted, this is just getting started in the Philippines.  Imagine what will happen when this flu hits a squatter area. :sad:

Was in SM Makati today ( saturday ).. needed some regular items... took me ONE HOUR to get to the cashier. Many people like me just getting reular items but some people buying huge amounts of meat and rice... most vegetables all gone too........

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We've exchanged thoughts on this forum about this pandemic, and how it may be Mother Nature's revenge. To be honest, Mother Nature can relax - we're more than capable of screwing up the world all by ourselves!

Folks, let's all do our tiny little bit by not joining in the madness. I'll be taking my usual 10k from the ATM and buying my usual 4k of groceries from the supermarket tomorrow. I will admit that we are avoiding SM City tomorrow because they have one of their fake Big Sales events but that's more of a sensible precaution than panicking i reckon.

I'm always annoyed when these things happen because stores/banks could do their bit to quash things by limiting purchases but they don't care - they are turning a dime plus some.

As i started - we are doing a fine job of screwing up our world without any help!

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We just moved to a bigger place and are taking the opportunity to keep more water on hand and some other supplies, simply because we have more room and it means fewer trips to the store.  S&R was still loaded with goods yesterday, although I have not been in the local supermarket lately.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

we're more than capable of screwing up the world all by ourselves!

Sadly...we already have done...

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

But those buying for a couple of days usually buy from the local market.  No reason to suspect there won't be food there.  We may run out of imported goods, sure.  Stock up on your shampoo and such.  

Our local market is closing for 3 days next week. Was in Harbour Point mall, Subic Bay Free Port this morning and it was like a ghost town

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Mother Nature can relax

I don't think she can relax. Not even chill out. She's pissed off that we treat her oceans like a garbage dump, out of sight, out of mind. We are beyond forgiveness with her. 

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uQOfr_1532418123

She will win in the long run!:Count_Sheep:

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

We just moved to a bigger place and are taking the opportunity to keep more water on hand and some other supplies, simply because we have more room and it means fewer trips to the store.  S&R was still loaded with goods yesterday, although I have not been in the local supermarket lately.  

I've still got 3 cases of Hormel Chili with beans left. I might be able to outlast the pandemic.:smile:

• Haha 2