Western world has lost its mind

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I was wondering how you got that handle. Then remembered the campfire bean-scene in 'Blazing Saddles' and figured that you're either a real cowhand or can maybe self- identify with them for other reasons of a rather impolite nature.  No need to explain, pardner..... Ha-ha.... just yankin' on your spurs.

If you've never watched that movie stoned..you won't laugh as much for sure.:biggrin:

• Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

There is already proof of 2 strains of COVID-19, what that means for people infected with the different strains isn't clear yet.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/investigators-identify-2-circulating-sarscov2-strains

Or it could have mutated away as well.  So, you can be infected but have no symptoms...   No symptoms is good, it means people won't die.  Or it could have mutated into a more aggressive strain, more people will die.  We don't know yet.  I'll wait for the facts rather than conjecture.  

I really think that people need to take their tin foil hats off and look at the facts.  The fact is no one knows where this is going.  Even the people that study this shite for a living are clueless right now.  For all of us, it's just wait and see.  There's no absolutes, there's no answers yet.  It's either a slow motion "Thanos snap" (Marvel fans get the reference) or it's not, or it's something in between.  

I strongly believe (based on factual research), that we need to isolate and take precautions "just in case".  It could go either way but why not err on the side of caution.  Unfortunately it's a wait and see situation and in the meantime do all you can to mitigate.  

Economists have done modelling with regards to to the impact globally and whilst the GFC was a "U" with regards to the "R" word (recession), i.e. Rapid decline, a long time at the bottom, and a slow gradual rise.  What we're facing now will be more like a "V", that is, rapid decline to the bottom, then a rapid recovery.  To that end, when the markets open on Monday, I've already thrown a lot of cash at shares that are at a historical low that I know will bounce back.  I'm not expecting to see any return until at least June/July but they're strong companies that I've invested in before and are considered "blue chip" when we've been in a similar situation, for whatever reason, in the past.  It's a long haul thing.   I guess I'm lucky in that my retirement is at least 2/3 years away.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Or it could have mutated away as well.  So, you can be infected but have no symptoms...   No symptoms is good, it means people won't die.  Or it could have mutated into a more aggressive strain, more people will die.  We don't know yet.  I'll wait for the facts rather than conjecture.  

I really think that people need to take their tin foil hats off and look at the facts.  The fact is no one knows where this is going.  Even the people that study this shite for a living are clueless right now.  For all of us, it's just wait and see.  There's no absolutes, there's no answers yet.  It's either a slow motion "Thanos snap" (Marvel fans get the reference) or it's not, or it's something in between.  

I strongly believe (based on factual research), that we need to isolate and take precautions "just in case".  It could go either way but why not err on the side of caution.  Unfortunately it's a wait and see situation and in the meantime do all you can to mitigate.  

Economists have done modelling with regards to to the impact globally and whilst the GFC was a "U" with regards to the "R" word (recession), i.e. Rapid decline, a long time at the bottom, and a slow gradual rise.  What we're facing now will be more like a "V", that is, rapid decline to the bottom, then a rapid recovery.  To that end, when the markets open on Monday, I've already thrown a lot of cash at shares that are at a historical low that I know will bounce back.  I'm not expecting to see any return until at least June/July but they're strong companies that I've invested in before and are considered "blue chip" when we've been in a similar situation, for whatever reason, in the past.  It's a long haul thing.   I guess I'm lucky in that my retirement is at least 2/3 years away.  

Good luck to you and yours. Should have tried the short sell.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Marvin - Now that the Philippines is a few days into this flu, do you still think it is only the Western world that has lost their mind?   Are you still sitting in your oasis of calm here in the land of sanity?  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Marvin - Now that the Philippines is a few days into this flu, do you still think it is only the Western world that has lost their mind?   Are you still sitting in your oasis of calm here in the land of sanity?  :whistling:

The way it looks to me Mike, is we are indeed an oasis of calm.  Look at the western headlines today, and the ensuing pandemonium.  And I stand by my other observations, that the raw numbers just do not justify the level of panic.   

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  Here is a history lesson

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/philadelphia-1918-spanish-flu-trnd/index.html

(CNN)The spread of the novel coronavirus has resulted in events being postponed or canceled across the country -- everything from the NBA and concerts to universities and schools has been affected.

It might be enough to make people wonder: Is all this necessary?
The answer is yes. Just look at Philadelphia in 1918, and the spread of the flu.

(more at link above)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2
  • Love it 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

And I stand by my other observations, that the raw numbers just do not justify the level of panic.   

I tend to agree but...

I prefer that we overreact and look back with annoyance rather than underreact and look back with sadness.  

It's the uncertainty that is getting to people - yet, if we choose to look we can see that has developed in other places and see how different responses have had different results yet many governments want to reinvent the wheel.   A post above talks about ignoring lessons from the past - that past can be very recent.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

I am gld to see the government and stores being proactive here instead of reactive.

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Western world has lost it's mind..........

The British Government has suggested all persons over 70 ( myself included ) should go into hibernation for three months!

That's crazy, everyone knows we all go gathering nut's in May!!

Stay calm :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I am gld to see the government and stores being proactive here instead of reactive.

4 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

The British Government has suggested all persons over 70 ( myself included ) should go into hibernation for three months!

I'm not sure which is correct, but interesting to see 2 kinda opposing views in consecutive posts.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't springs to mind.  

• Like 2