The virus and travel bans.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm in Australia at the moment as well selling an investment property, there are no direct flights but I can fly via Changi or KL to Cebu and then on to Cagayan De Oro.

Or at least I'm supposed to be able to.  I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to book a month ahead with all the uncertainty around travel bans and my frequent traveller travel insurance (1 year multiple trip) won't cover me for any Corona virus related expenses because I'm currently in Australia so it's a 'known risk'.

At least SWMBO was understanding, she told me that "it is better you don't fly right now, it's not safe".

Geoff, I heard last night on the local news here in CDO that Cebu are also banning domestic land, sea and air travel, I believe from tomorrow (Monday). The route CDO to CEB was specifically mentioned.

That would leave Clark and possibly Davao as your only travel option, if indeed you are able to route through them. Things are changing here on a daily basis.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

Geoff, I heard last night on the local news here in CDO that Cebu are also banning domestic land, sea and air travel, I believe from tomorrow (Monday). The route CDO to CEB was specifically mentioned.

That would leave Clark and possibly Davao as your only travel option, if indeed you are able to route through them. Things are changing here on a daily basis.

Thanks for the information.  I can't say it surprises me, in fact I was a bit surprised that Cebu wasn't included when Manila was locked down.

Clark would be difficult but Davao would be possible.  I would have to fly Melbourne to Sydney then Sydney to Singapore then Singapore to Davao.

But I'm not finished in Australia yet, probably another month (and that assumes the COVID-19 shutdowns don't effect the sale). 

And by then who knows what the situation will be...

Edited by GeoffH

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Thanks for the information.  I can't say it surprises me, in fact I was a bit surprised that Cebu wasn't included when Manila was locked down.

Clark would be difficult but Davao would be possible.  I would have to fly Melbourne to Sydney then Sydney to Singapore then Singapore to Davao.

But I'm not finished in Australia yet, probably another month (and that assumes the COVID-19 shutdowns don't effect the sale). 

And by then who knows what the situation will be...

I just checked the source again and the restriction in and out of Cebu is just air travel. It started yesterday, 14th and is in place for 30 days. So the ferry option is still available at the moment.

But who knows what the situation will be in a month! 

Good luck with your sale and return travel.

• Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

So what is the latest please folks? I read this morning that only citizens of the Philippines will be allowed into the country.

i am due to leave on the 23rd March, and with no permanent digs in Australia I am going to have to start looking for somewhere to stay, this is going to hurt the wallet.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So what is the latest please folks?

its fluid, give it a day or two to shake out...…..the way I read it, you should be able to enter,,,just not leave Manila if that is your destination

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Scott, are you currently in country?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

Here on Panay the Antique province is implementing a 14 day border restriction - to protect themselves from the people fleeing Manila.  This is a good time to just stay home...  :tiphat:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

i am due to leave on the 23rd March, and with no permanent digs in Australia I am going to have to start looking for somewhere to stay, 

I might be able to help with cheap accomodation (regional Victoria) if your budget is tight Onemore52. 

Message me if you find yourself staying in Aussie and you're stuck for somewhere to stay.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks Scott, are you currently in country?

yes,,,,if you get stuck in Manila, google back packer hostels,,,,,there are some that go for about 10 USD a night,,,,but you get what you pay for...…….we have one near us where back packers stay in between flights. Very, very basic 

bob1965
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Does anyone know if there is someplace to do some grocery shopping near terminal 3?

Take the walkway from terminal 3 over the expressway. Straight ahead then left on newport blvd. There’s a supermarket 5 minutes walk.