The virus and travel bans.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

So what is the latest please folks? I read this morning that only citizens of the Philippines will be allowed into the country.

i am due to leave on the 23rd March, and with no permanent digs in Australia I am going to have to start looking for somewhere to stay, this is going to hurt the wallet.

Are you a permanent resident, 13a or otherwise?  I think permanent residents will be allowed to arrive and go to their homes outside Manila. Don't quote me though.  Here in our area, if you return from Manila, you are supposed to put yourself on 14 day house quarantine.

Effective midnight tonight, Subic Bay Freeport will not allow you in unless you are a resident or work here.  And the stores like Royal Duty Free will not allow you in either.  So that means no tourists and no pass-throughs.  Normally people going from Bataan or Southern areas going to Zambales pass-through.  That will not be allowed, both directions.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Are you a permanent resident, 13a or otherwise?  I think permanent residents will be allowed to arrive and go to their homes outside Manila. Don't quote me though.  Here in our area, if you return from Manila, you are supposed to put yourself on 14 day house quarantine.

Effective midnight tonight, Subic Bay Freeport will not allow you in unless you are a resident or work here.  And the stores like Royal Duty Free will not allow you in either.  So that means no tourists and no pass-throughs.  Normally people going from Bataan or Southern areas going to Zambales pass-through.  That will not be allowed, both directions.

No, I always go in on a tourist visa.

I really do appreciate the heads up, as information of any kind is very scarce.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

No, I always go in on a tourist visa.

I really do appreciate the heads up, as information of any kind is very scarce.

If I were in your shoes, I would stay there where there is better healthcare.  If you come to Manila, you will be stuck in Manila with many restrictions.  Curfew, malls close early, etc.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Here on Panay the Antique province is implementing a 14 day border restriction - to protect themselves from the people fleeing Manila.  This is a good time to just stay home...  :tiphat:

Iloilo province just announced a border restriction until April 14.  According to Philstar, residents only are allowed to enter, and after Tuesday must be quarantined.  There was not any further detail about what type of quarantine.  

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is quarantine the same as house arrest, in Australia they are calling it self isolation, whatever that means, as they are saying it is ok to go the gym and the cinema.

i don’t get it.

Edited by Onemore52

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Is quarantine the same as house arrest, in Australia they are calling it self isolation, whatever that means, as they are saying it is ok to go the gym and the cinema.

i don’t get it.

For me, self-isolation and going to public places such as gyms and cinemas don't exist together.  I thought it meant avoiding all social contact unless unavoidable i.e. going to the hospital is fine but the cinema is not.  I don't believe it's the same as house arrest which would be more extreme.  

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Here on Panay the Antique province is implementing a 14 day border restriction - to protect themselves from the people fleeing Manila.  This is a good time to just stay home...  :tiphat:

Oh, bugger! We have a long standing booking for a week in Boracay in early May.  With MNL and CEB flights affected, which is our routing to Caticlan, a plan ‘B’ is to drive from Mindanao. But that would take us through Antique!

Yes, it seems a good time to stay at home! ☹️

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

i don’t get it.

From what I understand the Australian government are pushing 'social distancing' not 'self isolation' for the majority of the population (those without symptoms); that means avoiding crowds, not shaking hands, not hugging or kissing and keeping 1 to 2m separation from other people.  Self isolation allows going to outside locations but if you're doing it then you maintain a distance outside the droplet infection distance.  eg you might go to the gym late at nigh when there are only a few people and use a machine away from other people present.  Prudent use would include anti-bacterial wipes and hand washing etc.

Self-isolation is, at this point in time only being asked of people who have come back from overseas travel or have been in extended contact with a person who has come back from overseas or people who have symptoms which could be from COVID-19.  Self-isolation requires food and medicine delivery for single person households or staying in an isolation room in your house with multi-person households (and wearing a mask to reduce the chance of infecting other people in your house).  The Australian government have just announced funding for 'basics packages' which will be delivered to people isolated due to being ill with COVID-19 and unable to access deliveries.  Presumably non-perishable food and items?

They have also just announced a 14 day self quaratine for ALL incoming travellers. 

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Geoff, so what is the difference between self isolation and self quarantine? My guess is that it will be up to the individual on how each person conducts himself/herself in this situation, acting responsibly.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

i don’t get it.

Cinemas here are closing.

Iloilo just announced that no sea transport (except cargo) will be allowed. So, by shutting down the RoRo, that means no more bus from another island.  They say it is to protect us from the people fleeing Manila, but closing the RoRo shuts off the other islands as well.

~Edit~ I just reread the executive order for Iloilo, it is going to be a mess.  It restricts sea travel, including the RoRo, from the Manila area, or anyone traveling from a restricted country. And just how do they know what country you recently visited?  Too easy to lie about that.  Going to be an odd boat ban... 

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 2