Philippine Airlines cancels all domestic flights

RBM
Posted
Posted

Notified yesterday and very surprised  NZ government are supplying a C130 flight Cebu to Manila for stranded Kiwis whom have an international flight. No details yet on how many or dates.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Trying not to sound paranoid, Mike.... I think health and personal safety are more important than money and finances today?

I agree, I am just very concerned about my family, friends, and neighbours here in Moalboal.  Many work, earn, and are paid on a daily basis.  Today's income buys tomorrow's food.   Tourism is the engine that drives the local economy. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

I agree, I am just very concerned about my family, friends, and neighbours here in Moalboal.  Many work, earn, and are paid on a daily basis.  Today's income buys tomorrow's food.   Tourism is the engine that drives the local economy. 

Yeah... I hear you clearly... So then what's do do? For once I have no comment... USA is contemplating sending everyone a check for $1,000. Here that would last a long time - there??? maybe a week or two? But Philippines does not have the resources for that.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

But Philippines does not have the resources for that.

They had "state of calamity" packs. The way I understand it, once it is declared , (typhoon, volcano) those in need are issued x number kilos or rice and oil and the like. That's the plan right now anyway

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

They had "state of calamity" packs. The way I understand it, once it is declared , (typhoon, volcano) those in need are issued x number kilos or rice and oil and the like. That's the plan right now anyway

That sounds like a good idea in the right direction to me... how about you? I am willing to try to support some around me, if necessary - family only really...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That sounds like a good idea in the right direction to me

they found out the hard way that the gov can not hand out cash……..this way folks get food and not buying beer lol

• Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

they found out the hard way that the gov can not hand out cash……..this way folks get food and not buying beer lol

Or cigarettes or methamphetamines? Goodness... where are we all headed??? Please hand me another shot of Tanduay!!!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Trying not to sound paranoid, Mike.... I think health and personal safety are more important than money and finances today?

Today, yes.  But if we act with disregard to the economy today there will be no tomorrow to look forward to when we come out of this. 

Most governments have clearly stated there is a balance to be found.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

I was being driven along a couple of years ago and we drove past a nicely grassed and well painted government building and I asked "what is that one?", I was told that was (paraphrasing) the governments emergency supplies building for the area.  When I commented about how I thought this was a good idea by the government I got a sad lood and just "not enough".  I didn't push the issue but I thought about the size of the building and then thought about the size of the city and started to suspect what he meant.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

USA is contemplating sending everyone a check for $1,000. Here that would last a long time - there??? maybe a week or two? But Philippines does not have the resources for that.

Australia have just announced a $750 payment to everyone with a health care card or pension card or who is on benefits.  That won't go far in Aussie either especially now with the supermarket prices being higher than normal.

It's  not really profiteering, it's just that the cheaper brands are all sold out and all that's on the shelves is the premium brands and no sausages, mince just steak and chops.  That makes it harder for people on limited budgets.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Sad 1