2 Weeks Supply

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As discussing in other threads recently, prepared people don't need to panic buy.  

Lucky timing that recently we have moved to a bigger place and finally have room to keep extra water on hand or whatever.  Biggest shortcoming of this place is there is no manual pump for brown-outs.  I'm gonna have to think about that one.  We can always bucket lift it and boil water I suppose.  

So we have set the modest goal of having at least 2 weeks of supplies on hand at all times.  Should come in handy for any extended brown-outs, typhoon season, or the occasional zombie apocalypse.  I figure you guys can help me think of a list of typical staples that every household will need. 

- drinking water

- rice / other dry goods

- canned foods

- any medicines / vitamins / supplements 

- alcohol and spirits :cheersty:

- extra cooking gas bottle, just because it would suck to run out right when you needed it

- my local barako coffee, mmmmm

- charcoal / cooking wood?  We don't cook much this way but some do

- maybe 5 gallons of gas in a can?

- some amount of cash (suggestions?)

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Personally, I wouldn't bother as how many of these events have we faced in the past 2 or 3 decades that have lasted a couple of weeks?  I'd be worried about the environment getting to your supplies as they are likely to be lying around for quite some time if the past is anything to go by.  I probably have enough emergency supplies for a couple of weeks anyway, without any kind of conscious effort.  

The only thing I've prepared is my tin hat awaiting responses to the above!  :smile:

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Yes the dry goods are at risk of ants or rats, hopefully someone will have some guidance on this.  We keep our mongo beans in a sealed container, I suppose something similar might work.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Yes the dry goods are at risk of ants or rats, hopefully someone will have some guidance on this.  We keep our mongo beans in a sealed container, I suppose something similar might work.  

Easy to keep anything free from ants... Just isolate using water - like empty tuna cans or likewise with water in them and then smaller cans with the storage bin legs in them. Rats are probably best taken care of with cats. I have a problem with that since I am allergic to cats and actually don't really like cats either... So maybe a rat-chasing dog?

What I wonder and worry about are what Jake refers to as "brownouts" and issues, I am sort of curious about what he fears???? Mehaps I don't really want to know??:ohmy:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

As discussing in other threads recently, prepared people don't need to panic buy.  

Lucky timing that recently we have moved to a bigger place and finally have room to keep extra water on hand or whatever.  Biggest shortcoming of this place is there is no manual pump for brown-outs.  I'm gonna have to think about that one.  We can always bucket lift it and boil water I suppose.  

So we have set the modest goal of having at least 2 weeks of supplies on hand at all times.  Should come in handy for any extended brown-outs, typhoon season, or the occasional zombie apocalypse.  I figure you guys can help me think of a list of typical staples that every household will need. 

- drinking water

- rice / other dry goods

- canned foods

- any medicines / vitamins / supplements 

- alcohol and spirits :cheersty:

- extra cooking gas bottle, just because it would suck to run out right when you needed it

- my local barako coffee, mmmmm

- charcoal / cooking wood?  We don't cook much this way but some do

- maybe 5 gallons of gas in a can?

- some amount of cash (suggestions?)

I already have the extra cooking gas bottle..couple of years now. When I run out of gas, I put the new one in and order another right away. I hate it when my lunch is interrupted. :smile: Gas in a can?  No need.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Easy to keep anything free from ants... Just isolate using water - like empty tuna cans or likewise with water in them and then smaller cans with the storage bin legs in them. Rats are probably best taken care of with cats. I have a problem with that since I am allergic to cats and actually don't really like cats either... So maybe a rat-chasing dog?

What I wonder and worry about are what Jake refers to as "brownouts" and issues, I am sort of curious about what he fears???? Mehaps I don't really want to know??:ohmy:

TT..most of the time the rats are bigger than the cats around here!:hystery:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I already have the extra cooking gas bottle..couple of years now. When I run out of gas, I put the new one in and order another right away. I hate it when my lunch is interrupted. :smile: Gas in a can?  No need.

Apparently you might just need to talk to Jake if you need gas in a can???:hystery:

Sorry Jake... meant with "all due respect, sir....":hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

Forget the rice for brownouts, takes too much water to cook.  Instead keep a stock of skyflakes or something similar, be sure to rotate/use as they do go stale.  Tinned sardines and/or tuna.  I generally have several different varieties/flavors around to break up the monotony.  Do you have a generator or motorcycle to get around?  In that case a 5 gallon/20 liter container of gas can come in handy.  FYI my 3100kwh generator uses about 5 liters of gas every 7 hours of use.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Forget the rice for brownouts, takes too much water to cook.  Instead keep a stock of skyflakes or something similar, be sure to rotate/use as they do go stale.  Tinned sardines and/or tuna.  I generally have several different varieties/flavors around to break up the monotony.  Do you have a generator or motorcycle to get around?  In that case a 5 gallon/20 liter container of gas can come in handy.  FYI my 3100kwh generator uses about 5 liters of gas every 7 hours of use.

Cool... you sound like a pocket survivalist... Good to know I am not the only one around here...!

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Cool... you sound like a pocket survivalist... Good to know I am not the only one around here...!

Nah, I just like tinned sardines and tuna on skyflakes! :hystery: Got the generator the day after Ursula and the following day my electricity was back!