2 Weeks Supply

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

We have a UPS at the office but as of yet have not hooked it up to the routers (because I'm OCD and I want that shit hidden in a cabinet, which we must wall-mount).  It is fairly standard as I recall, but I did go through some pain to try to figure out the watts hours needed to run both the Globe and PLDT routers we use.  I think it came to like 26+ hours of use or something like that. 

Edit: wife says it was 4,000 pesos and bought it on Lazada

Thanks - any idea how long they will power the routers if no power?

Do you know the size i.e 650/1000/1500?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

The size of the inverter doesn’t hugely affect how long you can run any particular item for, other than the bigger the inverter the greater the power it uses, even if it’s not actually powering anything. For example, my inverter, which is 12 volt/350 watt, draws about half an amp, just to power itself. The modem draws about 15 watts, which at 12 volts is about 1.25amps. So the total current draw, modem plus inverter is about 1.75 amps. However, cheap inverters can draw considerably more than that.

So a 110 amp/hour battery could in theory run your modem and inverter for about 62 hours. (110/1.75 = 62.857) EXCEPT that would be a good way to destroy your battery in a relatively short time if you keep discharging it that low. For deep cycle batteries, which are constructed differently to car starter batteries and designed for deep discharge, the recommended depth of discharge is around 50% maximum. So you could expect about 30 hours use maximum. Car battery's are not designed for this type of use! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

As I said, I had estimated 26+ hours for the two routers we have.  But I don't remember the specs.  Will be down there tomorrow installing some flooring, so I can check.  

• Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Went out searching for a hardware store today.  All were closed except one, CitiHardware.  I don't know how I escaped visiting there before, probably because we had already found Wilcon.  Holy Cow, Citi Hardware is great.  Every kind of tool, hardware, or other supply I could ever hope for it looks like.  And don't need to go to a mall our to the outskirts of town to find it.  

I have a feeling it will be impossible to plan for the hardware and other stuff needed to last me 2 weeks, getting back to the point of this thread.  Too many unknowns in any kind of renovations / home repair.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

So a 110 amp/hour battery could in theory run your modem and inverter for about 62 hours. (110/1.75 = 62.857) EXCEPT that would be a good way to destroy your battery in a relatively short time if you keep discharging it that low. For deep cycle batteries, which are constructed differently to car starter batteries and designed for deep discharge, the recommended depth of discharge is around 50% maximum. So you could expect about 30 hours use maximum. Car battery's are not designed for this type of use! 

I will add to that explanation too about deep cycle batteries.

I tried flooded cells (golf cart batteries), dry cells and gels. The gels kept a higher voltage and had the longest life cycles for  me on the yacht. I took very good care of them all but the gels simply outperformed. I rarely discharged them to 50%. The deeper the discharge cycles the shorter the lifespan. I kept mine to around 35-40%. I also had a relatively large bank of them so that I would have two or three days supply. And the greater the load, the quicker and shorter the cycle. That was another reason I had a large battery bank - 4 x 4d @~150 ah each = 600 ah - plus separate engine start.

Oh... almost forgot... Also make sure to size the cables appropriately. It is better to have them a bit heavier than required than too small. If you touch any wire that is powering a load and it is warm to the touch, then it is too small. Too small increases resistance which is wasted energy and a fire hazard.

But that is way overkill here, I think. As Bearman suggests, even 30 hours is a lot considering the generally short nature of outages here these days.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Well, I think we'll be okay for dried fish anyway.  :Caught:

90559198_249954756023092_4691409952995016704_n.jpg

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

As I said, I had estimated 26+ hours for the two routers we have.  But I don't remember the specs.  Will be down there tomorrow installing some flooring, so I can check.  

Thanks - I'm really just looking to know what the 

22 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

The size of the inverter doesn’t hugely affect how long you can run any particular item for, other than the bigger the inverter the greater the power it uses, even if it’s not actually powering anything. For example, my inverter, which is 12 volt/350 watt, draws about half an amp, just to power itself. The modem draws about 15 watts, which at 12 volts is about 1.25amps. So the total current draw, modem plus inverter is about 1.75 amps. However, cheap inverters can draw considerably more than that.

Hands up - the above is a foreign language to me!  That said, I appreciate your attempt to explain.

Basically, all I want to know what size of UPS I should use to power a router - the router is 12V 1.5A.  On Lazada, the UPS seem to be graded according to VA i.e. 650VA / /800VA/1000VA and so on.  I understand the lower the VA the shorter the run time.  

I only need something to keep my router going for around an hour or so.  My idea would be to only plug my modem in to the UPS once the power goes off - not keep it plugged in permanently.  I know that's not necessarily how it's intended to be used but I don't want to have the UPS lying around when not needed.  

Any further help much appreciated. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Thanks - I'm really just looking to know what the 

Hands up - the above is a foreign language to me!  That said, I appreciate your attempt to explain.

Basically, all I want to know what size of UPS I should use to power a router - the router is 12V 1.5A.  On Lazada, the UPS seem to be graded according to VA i.e. 650VA / /800VA/1000VA and so on.  I understand the lower the VA the shorter the run time.  

I only need something to keep my router going for around an hour or so.  My idea would be to only plug my modem in to the UPS once the power goes off - not keep it plugged in permanently.  I know that's not necessarily how it's intended to be used but I don't want to have the UPS lying around when not needed.  

Any further help much appreciated. 

A 650VA UPS would be fine for what you are intending to use it for. That would equate to about 390 watts of available power and you are just wanting to power maybe a 15 watts modem. As you only want to use it for about an hour you would have plenty of power in reserve. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1