2 Weeks Supply

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My Globe mobile goes off quite soon after the power goes off so no fibre and no mobile internet.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

My Globe mobile goes off quite soon after the power goes off so no fibre and no mobile internet.

Pretty much all modems go off more or less when the power does - the modem requires power to work.  As Jim says, his fiber connection will continue to work in a brownout but only if he connects it to another power supply i.e a battery.  I use a powerbank - it's a cheep and cheerful solution but as the PC is the weak link it works for the 2 or so hours that the Globe connection survives with no power.  

Gary D
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Pretty much all modems go off more or less when the power does - the modem requires power to work.  As Jim says, his fiber connection will continue to work in a brownout but only if he connects it to another power supply i.e a battery.  I use a powerbank - it's a cheep and cheerful solution but as the PC is the weak link it works for the 2 or so hours that the Globe connection survives with no power.  

Yes but our globe connection doesn't survive so double whammy.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:
5 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Both Tilapia and Bangus (milkfish) are grown in brackish water ponds. Some bangus in ocean aquaculture pens.  I don't think you can find a Pinoy who doesn't eat them with some regularity, even in the USA. They are a food mainstay.

Agreed... L loves the bangus (thanks for reminding me of what "milkfish" are called here) and eats it regularly. After seeing it raised in captivity under those conditions, I refuse to touch it. Just my preference...

Mine too. But maybe because we we're spoiled and became accustomed to fresh, wild stocks. 

Most just eat what they can get and are content. That's OK.

As a youth I ate the natural stocks of the western Great Lakes before they were decimated. From  the age of 21 till 48 I caught and ate fresh chum and King salmon, along with arctic char and siifish that we caught ourselves with nets.  But now the stuff on  the markets is...... well, you can't always be sure if you're buying it.

The wild Chum salmon I caught and sold commercially for 20 seasons. The rest came from subsistence nets. Now a days I don't fish and can't afford to buy, at the local markets,  the rounds I used to sell from 25 to 48 cents per pound at the fish buyer's dock. 

Fortunately for me, when I am here in the PI,  my Pinay only buys large, fresh cuts of Tanique or things that are pelagic (open ocean roamers) and prepares them very well. The quantity isn't what I am used to, but since I am older and no longer so active, that doesn't matter so much. Good fish is good fish.

That said, if  I were really hungry I think I would eat practically anything that I could safely digest. I've eaten with effete epicures and working men of the sea and soil and prefer the later. High quality food is great when you can get it or afford it,  but after it gets past the palate and you convert it to bio-energy, it all turns to.........

Ha-ha. Enjoy what you can while you can. 

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Making a 'last run' to Wilcon today.  The mayor is "mulling" a lockdown of Iloilo city, and you know what happens when they "mull" things.  I expect he will announce it tomorrow, and only allow essential stores to remain open.  We have a work crew here, so will try to pre-buy enough paint and whatever supplies to last us a couple of weeks.  Need to get the plumber to complete his remaining items today since he is from out of town, and has been going thru checkpoints to get here.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes but our globe connection doesn't survive so double whammy.

I see - as I said we can continue for about 2 hours until the Globe connection gives up.

I wonder why my Globe continues yet yours doesn't? I guess it's the usual answer - this is the Philippines! 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

We have both Globe and PLDT fiber. During a brownout our PLDT drops out after about an hour but Globe seems to carry on indefinitely until the power comes back on. Longest brownout we have monitored is about four hours. So I guess Globe has a good back-up supply.

We run both off our UPS which runs also several lights, fans and my wife’s lap top for at least four hours (for her teaching) before the battery gets to 50% capacity.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

We have both Globe and PLDT fiber. During a brownout our PLDT drops out after about an hour but Globe seems to carry on indefinitely until the power comes back on. Longest brownout we have monitored is about four hours. So I guess Globe has a good back-up supply.

We run both off our UPS which runs also several lights, fans and my wife’s lap top for at least four hours (for her teaching) before the battery gets to 50% capacity.

Our Globe used to last until the power was restored, but recently it has stopped after a couple of hours.  I asked their technician why and he said it depends on the battery in each box/section.  

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Pretty simple to hot-spot through your phone, at our old place we used to do it a lot because the Globe fiber in our neighborhood was super slow.  It ends up adding to the phone bill yeah, but it was the only way to watch anything streaming.  The cell phone towers seem to still have power during brownouts. 

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Stocked up on supplies today.  Got 25 kilos of rice, because they came in resealable 5 kilo bags.  We will just leave them sealed until we need 'em.  Bought 3 gallons of Boysen semigloss white, because we use it everywhere haha.  Gas bottle company is coming today to drop us off a full bottle.   SM grocery store was still stocked with everything, and even the lines were short.  I guess everyone is staying home.