2 Weeks Supply

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Our ants will use linked ant bodies to form a bridge over water.

Maybe when the power goes brownout you can use them as an ant tenna to get TV :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I think it depends on the state of the back-up battery in the local providers distrubution box. I guess Globes is good and PLDT's is knackered!

I made my own UPS. It has a 350 watt pure sine wave invertor, multi stage 'intelligent' charger and a 110ah deep cycle gel battery.

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

Looks great, I made one too but not as cool looking as yours. I slipped up when buying the inverter, got 24v instead of 12v so I need two batteries wired in series to make the 24v.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

That looks way cool, Bearman... nice job! Maybe you can share some details regarding the construction and where you obtained the parts?

Hi Tom.

The UPS is to run essential items for my wife’s online teaching. 
In ‘normal’ use it just runs a single modem (PLDT) and two low wattage lamps. This is to maintain the internet connection and mask the effect of a brownout while the emergency lights kick in. So the ’normal’ current draw from the battery is quite low, especially as the vast majority of the time, the charger is supplying the power, through the battery. In the event of a brownout my wife simply plugs in an additional plug which then powers two more lights, a second modem (Globe) a fan and her laptop. The longest brownout we have needed to use it was about 4 hours. The state of charge of the battery went down to about 70%, well above the recommended minimum of 50%. 

We now have a little Honda eu10i suitcase inverter generator which I use if the brownout extends beyond about an hour, which is not very often these days. It will run for about 8 hours on just a couple of liters of gas and is exceptionally quiet.

The UPS box is made of 3/4th ply, mounted on casters. The original batteries were locally sourced maintenance free, deep cycle lead acids, 2 x 100ah but they only lasted about a year before starting to fail. I shipped a single Victron, (Dutch made,  marine gel deep cycle battery) which has lasted very well the last three years and still retains  its full state of charge. The inverter is also a Victron 350 watt pure sine wave, and also a Victron four stage intelligent charger. You may have heard of Victron, which is very well respected in the marine industry. To finish off I have a Merlin ‘Smartgauge’ battery monitor to monitor the state of charge of the battery.

I shipped all the parts from a Victron supplier in the UK.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/17/2020 at 7:42 PM, Huggybearman said:

You can load your phone online via your banks app or website.

Can't do that if you have run out of load and WIFI if using a phone and if  the power has gone off at home so cant use the computer unless a battery operated laptop but if you have a wired connection then with no power it wont work.  :tiphat:

Added

Had not read about 4 more pages before commenting. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Tom, ask L to check the wording of the safety measures being taken.  They probably vary from city to city.  Where we are, certain essential businesses are allowed to remain open, such as grocery stores. 

I just checked online news.

Davao region is now on lockdown - there are no "community" lock downs now. It means incoming traffic is severely restricted or prohibited except for supplies of goods.

The malls were all ordered shut, but that does not mean a lot since most grocery stores and many pharmacies are located in the malls and those are allowed to remain open.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, GeoffH said:

A lot of the larger fish around CDO and Ozamiz areas are raised in closed off fish ponds with artificial machines aerating the water.  I think I'd rather that than the close caught bay fish myself.  Generally when there I restrict myself to the larger ocean fish but honestly who knows how far out it's caught.  Still, got to be better than the little ones caught inshore.

Watched a video a while back about the Cat fish (Cream Dory imported from Vietnam). They were raised in a pond and feed by a large pig pen above. It was stated many first world countries have banned them. Think it also includes pangasinan fish. They are sold here supermarkets cheap and all ready for the pan.

Could be the local ones here are bred locally, no idea as never eat them. Would hope they are of a better quality.

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

They were raised in a pond and feed by a large pig pen above

In Philippines I have seen people raise some kind of fish in ponds fed by chicken shit.  Then they serve the fish in their restaurant.  Strange things happen,   Wife says its tilapia and most filipinos eat it. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The malls were all ordered shut, but that does not mean a lot since most grocery stores and many pharmacies are located in the malls and those are allowed to remain open.

Yep correct, see here:

sm_city.jpg

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

All the inshore and river fish here are fed on shit so nothing new. We walked across a bridge over shit river in Olongapo a week ago and by the bridge was an outlet which was teaming with little fish. You can't tell me it was prime fish food coming from that outlet

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Yep correct, see here:

sm_city.jpg

So it's close or not closed, make up your mind.

• Haha 2