Panic Buying-UK

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Nope... Just what we need and nothing more... We loathe hoarders...

It's the 'just what we need' part that's the issue, Tom.  You could use that to justify buying up all the toilet roll in SM and S&R together on the basis you need it, albeit only eventually.  I even got irritated an hour or so ago to see we had an extra 12-pack of gold (toilet roll) in addition to the half-open one we were working through. 

It's human nature but...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I got a case of 1 liter bottles of Rum before xmas, am I classed as a hoarder? Better to have, than to have not.:shooter:

I'm going to guess it wasn't the last case though, Jim.  And even if it were, you would have had every reason to think more stock was readily available.  

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Went out yesterday to get some items and was expecting there will be crowds and nothing to buy, well I was surprised, first port of call was Aldi, ok there was things that had gone very few tins of soup and fish, no biscuits at all and sweets too, and the loo rolls and bleach , but lots of fruit and meat and everything else, then it was onto another shop for the bleach and cleaning items , then it was on to the local corner shop and yes they had lots of loo roll so we brought a pack of 4 .

I must admit too that the people out doing there shopping was all jolly and talking and helping too,wil it stay like that who knows .

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's the 'just what we need' part that's the issue, Tom.  You could use that to justify buying up all the toilet roll in SM and S&R together on the basis you need it, albeit only eventually.  I even got irritated an hour or so ago to see we had an extra 12-pack of gold (toilet roll) in addition to the half-open one we were working through. 

It's human nature but...

Well... we just recently bought our usual at both SM and S & R the smallest packs of the TP and PT - maybe a month's supply - just our normal purchase. That's our way... They were both "out of stock" a couple weeks ago after the usual Christmas rush finally settled down. The only thing we really bought a bit of excess was some rice (not much, but maybe 2.5 kg more than the usual) and some canned goods - again, not excess - a few cans more than usual... So I don't see that as hoarding? Maybe so? So I am not the one to decide that...

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Some places have hand sanitizer at the door and when they do, I get enough to wipe my hands and then the entire handle of the cart.

Tried to go to the old Royal yesterday afternoon.  It was packed so I passed.  It was the last day it will be open, for those interested.  The new Royal on Manila Ave. will remain open.  It is more wide open so you are not packed in like sardines at busy times.  Hours are 9-5.

I went to the Pure Gold Duty Free.  I have always like it because of the wide open warehouse design.  They were not that crowded.  Small lines.  They remain open 9-5.  Stocks were not bad.  Low on a few things.  Lots of canned goods.  I increased my stock of canned chili.  Family beware.

At the entrance of PG, the guard gives you two small sprays of sanitizer.  Not really enough.  So I had to whip out my sanitizer and give my hands and the card a good cleaning.

Is it possible to get into the freeport as a non resident.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well... we just recently bought our usual at both SM and S & R the smallest packs of the TP and PT - maybe a month's supply - just our normal purchase. That's our way... They were both "out of stock" a couple weeks ago after the usual Christmas rush finally settled down. The only thing we really bought a bit of excess was some rice (not much, but maybe 2.5 kg more than the usual) and some canned goods - again, not excess - a few cans more than usual... So I don't see that as hoarding? Maybe so? So I am not the one to decide that...

If it's your usual purchase then I don't think anyone will point any fingers at you. Tom.  Unless you're buying a huge quantity at one time in order to see you through the next few years!  

There won't be many of us not buying a little extra at this moment - we're only human!  :thumbsup:

This reminds me of my late grandfather - he bought a 100w light bulb every 2 weeks regardless of needing it or not.  Hoarding - yes!  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If it's your usual purchase then I don't think anyone will point any fingers at you. Tom.  Unless you're buying a huge quantity at one time in order to see you through the next few years!  

There won't be many of us not buying a little extra at this moment - we're only human!  :thumbsup:

This reminds me of my late grandfather - he bought a 100w light bulb every 2 weeks regardless of needing it or not.  Hoarding - yes!  

As mentioned before, we purchased a bit more than the usual.. Maybe half of this was already stocked up before our last shop a couple days ago...

.20200318_163327_resized.jpg

But does this look like hoarding to you?

Sure, we have some more stashed in another cupboard, but this is the main supply for two of us... The TP and PT we buy maybe once every month or two at S & R mainly because we like the quality of the goods, not necessarily for price. But I really need to go out again to buy more Tanduay - vitamin R... Don't want to run out of my rocket fuel...:smile:

As also mentioned before, I guess I am a bit of a survivalist... I have kept at least one month of food supplies on hand, wherever I have been for over 35 years... It is just second nature to me - rightly or wrongly...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sorry if I appear a bit testy, HK... but I don't want to be painted with or labeled with a moniker I don't deserve. I am a bit irritable right  now - ask L about this! - so my apologies if my replies are a bit out of line...:tiphat:

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Is it possible to get into the freeport as a non resident.

No.  Non-residents need an SBMA ID and a work ID for a business that is open.  Many workers found out that they did not have proper IDs and they are scrambling to get them.

In our neighborhood workers like gardeners and other stay-out help are not being allowed in.  People who go out to walk the dog or exercise are being told by security to go back inside.  I don't think they really have the authority to make you go inside but if there were a lot of violations I suppose LED of some sort would show up.  Some neighbors have been disgruntled about this but most of us are fine with it.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry if I appear a bit testy, HK... but I don't want to be painted with or labeled with a moniker I don't deserve. I am a bit irritable right  now - ask L about this! - so my apologies if my replies are a bit out of line...:tiphat:

I thought you weren't your usual self, Tom.  I just thought you were becoming like the rest of us grumpy old gits here!

Apologies not needed but accepted!  :thumbsup: