Panic Buying-UK

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I thought you weren't your usual self, Tom.  I just thought you were becoming like the rest of us grumpy old gits here!

Apologies not needed but accepted!  :thumbsup:

I'm glad we are all friends again......I don't want us to fall out about excessive purchases,  ( not refering to you Tom ) but like the two ladies reported last week here in UK, who had a punch-up over one taking a load of toilet rolls off the shelves. :smile:

It would appear from what you  all have said, that the British Retailers while trying to keep the shelves stocked are failing to do basic cleansing of areas and trolleys, unlike Philippines.

From now on I won't leave the house without cleansing wipes.........come to think about it, my wife when we first met, always reminded me try not to hold handrails on stairs and escalators in Philippines

that was years ago, now I realise the wisdom of her words.:tiphat:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

.But does this look like hoarding to you?

Sure, we have some more stashed in another cupboard, but this is the main supply for two of us...

It does not look like hoarding to me, I have one month supply of food for myself and my daughter (although she's sometimes at her mothers house).

I haven't panic bought, I just added extra canned and long life food during last 3 weeks of shopping (about 2000 peso worth each week) as a precaution and now I'm buying and eating mainly fresh fruits and vegetables and meat or bread... perishable foods.  The long life food I've stopped buying and I'm not currently using because I've got enough if the two of us have to go into isolation for a period of time.

This is my pantry cupboard FWIW, it's normally about half full but now mostly full.

NB there is one bottle of waterless hand sanitizer and 1 box of 5 soaps and 1 use with water liquid anti bacterial soap plus 2 small packs of masks, 1 unused and 1 open with  2 used when a forum member came to aussie and had to self isolate and I picked him up.  There is also 10 liters of water and a first aid kit which isn't in the picture. 

pantry.jpg

Edited by GeoffH

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

This OTOH is the sort of thing I think of as a hoarder panic buying...

hoarding.JPG

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

hoarding.JPG

Here's another example :thumbsup:

2020-03-18 11.30.22.jpg

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, GeoffH said:

hoarding.JPG

It could be but like me who manages condos which are meant to supply toilet paper to guests. It's necessary where possible to buy it. The guy in the photo might run a hotel/motel or something. I bought a pack of 48 which I normally do the other day but now where most of my units are have stopped short term rentals until next month so wont need the TP for now.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It could be but like me who manages condos which are meant to supply toilet paper to guests.

If it was one guy in a line then sure maybe, but when it's a whole line of people talking to each other it's hoarding and/or profiteering.

There are mini buses driving around Victoria with people in them travelling in groups, they are going to rural towns and raiding the supermarkets there and leaving the locals with nothing.  They turn up (about 30 or 40 of them), someone goes inside and scouts out the supermarket, then they all walk quickly in together and grab 15 or 20 trolleys and before you know it they've emptied the shelves of the products in short supply like toilet paper, baby formula, hand cleaner, soap, pasta, canned food etc.

And they're outside in 15 minutes and gone.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Sad 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

:no:

3e613525eddf286f8c4ee70f6c0cde60e94834cd.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

And they're outside in 15 minutes and gone.

Yep... that is the ugly face of hoarding... sorry to read about that...

• Sad 1