No new visas, others are canceled

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yes, but in reality no different to normal situation - I'm pretty sure they don't actively seek out anyone here who shouldn't be and just rely on people coming out of the woodwork for various reasons to round them up and send them home.

In some ways it would be easier in the present situation - they'd be looking for many needles in a haystack rather than just 1.

There was and maybe still is a scheme for locals to dob in overstaying foreigners for a reward.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gary D said:

There was and maybe still is a scheme for locals to dob in overstaying foreigners for a reward.

And I suppose they use a scattergun approach - all foreigners are overstaid and report us all hoping to get lucky once in a while! 

• Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

And I suppose they use a scattergun approach - all foreigners are overstaid and report us all hoping to get lucky once in a while! 

IMHO, Immigration agents all over the world will be directed by their governing authority to take the currant situation into account before levying fines and such. Or maybe it makes too much sense?:wave:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

IMHO, Immigration agents all over the world will be directed by their governing authority to take the currant situation into account before levying fines and such. Or maybe it makes too much sense?:wave:

Let's hope so.  Who know which global political leaders/parties/regimes, etc. will try to twist this thing to their own local advantage to further their own interests. 'Foreigners' and outsiders are often a prime target when things 'go to hell in a hand basket'.  You can either go back into history or look at several existent governments to see this in action presently. The Blame Game never dies.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm just waiting for the xenophobia to kick off here. My wife has already been ask why as a foreigner I'm here. Being that they are all simple country folk here it is generally beyond most of them to work out that if I caught covid-19 it would be because one of them gave it to me.

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I think you have the wrong end of the stick - my post was referring to locals getting rewards for reporting overstayers, not BI fining overstayers.  That said, your point still stands. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I'm just waiting for the xenophobia to kick off here. My wife has already been ask why as a foreigner I'm here. Being that they are all simple country folk here it is generally beyond most of them to work out that if I caught covid-19 it would be because one of them gave it to me.

I will admit that for the 1st time in 5 years I did consider that locals may view me as a risk - and who can blame them?  We have seen this played out in far better educated countries than this one over the past few weeks.  

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Well, I guess they know that it comes from overseas. My wife tells me that our locals are pissed off that so many Chinese came here and likely brought it in, but now that its spread globally, every foreigner is considered a potential threat. Of course, once it was here, anybody could become a carrier. Returning OFWs, anyone that jets around, anyone that spent time in international social gathering places like restos or tourist resorts. Take your pick. For all I know, its more likely that my foreigner friends have been exposed than my poorest neighbors.  But you are correct if you only have been associating with locals for the last 3 months.

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 3/23/2020 at 4:32 AM, ZenTraveler2020 said:

I've been staying here on a tourist visa the past couple of years and also made some side trips.

I'm staying in BGC area of Taguig with a 30 day tourist Visa (from the U.S.) 

I've been here for a few weeks already.  Is it possible they would allow me to stay longer?  It seems like I'm gonna have to go back as soon as the lockdown is over.  And looking at what's going on in the U.S. if that happens, I don't think I'll be able to get back here anytime soon.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/3/20/DFA-visa-issuance-suspension-wont-affect-foreigners-in-PH.html

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Common sense has to prevail sometimes.  How could they expect people already here to leave ASAP - they may have nowhere to go and no way to pay for flights etc etc.  The already overflowing jails would burst when filled with foreigners stuck here.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic