On a Lighter Note Today... How About Food?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just made some deep dish pork asada enchiladas , but can not find sour cream to save my life :boohoo:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Just made some deep dish pork asada enchiladas , but can not find sour cream to save my life :boohoo:

What about Greek Yogurt or similar?  

roddavis
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, scott h said:

East to make! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

Just use milk/cream ,vinegar or lemon juice. Mix, let set out 24 hours, then refrigerate. I make it all the time. I prefer lemon juice and cream. Lemon juice gives a better tang to the sour cream!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, scott h said:

Lately, we are out of sour cream too and are too lazy to doctor it (drain and add just a touch or maple syrup) to make sour cream. It tastes wonderful on our Mexican and Spanish dishes.

14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What about Greek Yogurt or similar?  

The Greek yogurt here is sweet - yucky for sour cream substitute. Sweeter than the sour cream substitute I describe above.

1 hour ago, roddavis said:

East to make! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

Just use milk/cream ,vinegar or lemon juice. Mix, let set out 24 hours, then refrigerate. I make it all the time. I prefer lemon juice and cream. Lemon juice gives a better tang to the sour cream!  :thumbsup:

Good idea!

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2020 at 6:03 PM, insite said:

Last night - How about some homemade coarse wholewheat brown bread loaf and smoked / marinated BBQ pork sosaties ?

Yes please - Yummy .

Tonight - Chicken Tika Masala , Basmati Rice and Paratha ?

OK - if you insist .........

1587806820314.JPEG

1588413040285.JPEG

1588413595791.JPEG

1588413595127.JPEG

Hey Insite how about sharing that bread recipe looks yummy. We have tried a few here but not entirely satisfied, problem also is to get wholemeal flour.

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

Sure - I get the wholewheat on Shopee - got a delivery this morning - 5Kg @ Ps585

The bread I showed you was made in a machine and I enclose one recipe from the book that came with the gadget and another that I have also tried successfully - I generally use soured fresh cows or buffalo milk instead of water.

I also have a recipe for handmade Irish Brown Soda Bread which I include - very delicious if a lot more effort - its for 4 loaves so just scale it as your requirements - butter grease inside of containers prior to baking

Let me know you can read these OK or I will scan and e mail you .

Enjoy

Shopee Flour.jpg viber_image_2020-05-04_12-52-55.jpg  viber_image_2020-05-04_12-53-07.jpg

viber_image_2020-05-04_12-53-11.jpg viber_image_2020-05-04_12-52-52.jpg Soda Bread.jpg

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

Chicken Tikka Masalla left us Ram Jam Fuul - ha

1588494879410.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, insite said:

Sure - I get the wholewheat on Shopee - got a delivery this morning - 5Kg @ Ps585

I have seen whole wheat flour at the Gaisano here in Davao, but did not check the price. They also have rye flour. Cannot vouch for quality but most things I buy there are good. Thanks for sharing!

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tommy T. said:

maple syrup

Where do you get your syrup, Tommy? S&R has been out of the real stuff for a long time now. M came home from there last week with three boxes of pancake mix, a squeeze bottle of Hershey's caramel, and another of Hershey's chocolate. I'm like, "Honey, using those is sacrilegious." :huh:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Where do you get your syrup, Tommy? S&R has been out of the real stuff for a long time now. M came home from there last week with three boxes of pancake mix, a squeeze bottle of Hershey's caramel, and another of Hershey's chocolate. I'm like, "Honey, using those is sacrilegious." :huh:

I bought two bottles of pure maple syrup at S & R quite a while ago - years ago... and still have one unopened. We don't used it often, obviously because we try to avoid sweets. But Saturday or Sunday mornings when we have a baguette and there is no school, then bacon and French Toast rule the breakfast table, as noted in another thread... I don't recall seeing it elsewhere, but then I haven't looked. You might try Gaisano downtown because they have lots of interesting foreign foods there.

And were you aware that the Gaisano Mall in Mintal opened a few months ago after languishing in legal limbo for a long time? That would be a much shorter and easier trip for you. But I have not yet been inside so don't know about their selection...

Pancakes with caramel or chocolate??? Maybe better with mayo and ketchup?...ugghhh. Your opinion is right on!

Different topic, slightly... Do you know if Swiss Deli is open? I know the deli side would be closed, but what about the other side with the bread, cheeses and deli and frozen meats plus canned goods? I hope all those cheeses don't go bad...

Maple Syrup.jpg