On a Lighter Note Today... How About Food?

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I also bought this in S&R some time back - it was Ps 600 a bottle and then was reduced to clear to Ps 160 - we bought about 4 - I use them when I do a Master Cleanse Detox and they are now finished - pity - you can buy then in the health shop at SM but I think they are in the region of Ps 2500

Edited by insite

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Different topic, slightly... Do you know if Swiss Deli is open?

M went to S&R today and she just now said she "thinks" the store part is open.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, JD...

Perhaps you might PM me a little about how her shopping experience went at S & R? Lines? Social Distancing? Product availability - especially produce?

We will be ordering pizzas from there today using Food Panda... We are suffering pizza cravings now!

Even after the quarantine is lifted some day, we intend to stay home for another week after because we are sure there will be a surge in shoppers that has been all pent up during the past going on 2 months... You should see the videos online of the traffic in Davao City yesterday at 9 am!!! And the ECQ is still in force for another 10 days.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
insite
Posted
Posted

Cider brew underway - first day .....

viber_image_2020-05-26_13-41-46.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, insite said:

viber_image_2020-05-26_13-41-46.jpg

Ha, made some of this turned out to be apple wine.  Soon as I put it in fridge it went cloudy. drank it though, tasted a bit yeasty maybe let it stand to long after fermentation.

insite
Posted
Posted

Will report back when I get through and its ready to drink

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, insite said:

That looks good! I had friends who did something like that in university and it did not turn out so good....

At any rate... I applaud your effort!:AddEmoticons04230:

Could you please share details about how you made this and how it tastes when done?

insite
Posted
Posted

Thanks Tommy.

Its my first attempt at brewing anything but I have been given the process and recipe by a friend of mine in Davao who does it frequently and who assures me his cider is now sharp and sparkling and better than Strongbow !

It is a two stage process with the first to ferment the alcohol and the second to build up the CO2 - one also has to be careful of the sediment as it may cloud the cider - perhaps that's what happened Jimeve's brew ( then again perhaps not ha ha )

This is the process as given me :

Cider and wine same process.
Juice must be preservative free - preservatives kill the yeast
You can use the original juice container to brew just make an airtrap for the plastic top.
1/2 pkt of yeast and 2 cups of sugar to 4 liters of juice ( can add 3 cups to build alcohol content )...walk away and leave until bubbles stop.
Replace cap without airtrap and add 4 teaspoons sugar for second fermentation.
Ready in a week but improves with age.

I had no airtrap so on this batch I followed this advise :

I have subsequently ordered some of these for the next attempt :

https://shopee.ph/product/202049546/5528668888

I also used a standard but good quality yeast - I was later advised to try this for a far better taste :

https://shopee.ph/product/127817793/2043684062

The second process is along these lines :

When bubbles are passing really slowly it's a sign the yeast is getting exhausted you have  2 options .

Decant into other bottles (Coke type will do , Grolsch type even better ) without disturbing the sediment.
Add teaspoon of sugar per bottle and seal for a week then chill....

Or use original brew jar add 4 teaspoons sugar and seal with closed cap (not airtrap)...should ferment a second time to add gas

If your 2nd fermentation is in the original jar be careful pouring it into a glass to avoid sediment rising.

Thats the bones of it ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, insite said:

It is a two stage process with the first to ferment the alcohol and the second to build up the CO2 - one also has to be careful of the sediment as it may cloud the cider - perhaps that's what happened Jimeve's brew ( then again perhaps not ha ha )

No, I siphoned the juice from the fermenting bottles and it cleared. when I put it in the fridge for some reason it went cloudy next day.  I put some more in the fridge last night and it's clear:89:

Just had a little taste and it's good, don't know the strength as I didn't take a reading. I fermented the juice in the bottles that come with it, just added two cups of sugar, shake till the sugar has dissolved then add the champagne yeast. I left it for 3 weeks then bottled into empty bottles of rum. 

Can you buy 4 liters of juice? Mine were 1.9 liters of Mott's apple juice.

insite
Posted
Posted

You can buy 3.8 L of pure apple juice in SR - not sure if they have other juices such as grape but will check next time there.

1590646215304.JPEG

• Thanks 1