On a Lighter Note Today... How About Food?

insite
Posted
Posted

A question Jimeve ............

Did you temperature control ?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, insite said:

A question Jimeve ............

Did you temperature control ?

No, @insite How do you do that? 

insite
Posted
Posted

It appears you will get the best fermentation at around 20C

We dont air-condition the house during the day preferring open windows , doors and lots of fans but if you do than close to the aircon is an option.

I have put mine in a downstairs shower where the dogs go when very hot so most likely one of the cooler places in the house.

It also has the benefit that should it pop I can hose it down rather than have to repaint a room :hystery:

• Thanks 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Day 7 .........

Still too lively to bottle.

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

Second brew underway since yesterday - proof of the pudding should be in about 5 days

Second Brew.JPEG

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted

1591704910256.JPEGHomemade Cider , cheddar , apple and Biltong no less - bloody delicious

Cider a tad sweet , but a rich round taste - mason jars unsuitable for second brew - ordered flip top bottle tops for next attempt

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, insite said:

1591704910256.JPEGHomemade Cider , cheddar , apple and Biltong no less - bloody delicious

Cider a tad sweet , but a rich round taste - mason jars unsuitable for second brew - ordered flip top bottle tops for next attempt

Nice one, do you know the strength? I drank the last bottle of apple wine not sure of the strength never took a reading. was very dry so I put a little brown sugar in to sweeten.

Yesterday started to make some more apple wine added 2.5 cups of sugar rather than just two cups. Fermenting looks slow, I'm using champagne yeast.

insite
Posted
Posted

I do not have a hydrometer to test the strength - do you have some other way to check it ?

What I do know however is that it has one serious kick as after that one glass above I knew I had taken a drink.

Possibly 7/8%

I will start another brew tonight and reduce the sugar content as you to 2.5 cups / 4L

I got a few of these gadgets delivered today but am still awaiting delivery of champagne yeast.

1591765014109.JPEG

1591765014655.JPEG

insite
Posted
Posted

I used Mason jars for the decant and second brew and you can see from the photo they could not take the pressure.

The one I drank yesterday was not flat but might have been better were it more lively.

I have ordered these for the next attempt - https://shopee.ph/12-PCS-Caps-Flip-Top-Replacement-Swing-Cap-For-Red-Wine-Style-Beer-Bottle-i.160357616.5036468904

1591765495728.JPEG

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, insite said:

I used Mason jars for the decant and second brew and you can see from the photo they could not take the pressure.

The one I drank yesterday was not flat but might have been better were it more lively.

I have ordered these for the next attempt - https://shopee.ph/12-PCS-Caps-Flip-Top-Replacement-Swing-Cap-For-Red-Wine-Style-Beer-Bottle-i.160357616.5036468904

1591765495728.JPEG

I have ordered those swing caps too. I got my hydrometer from Lazada . the only other way of testing the strength is tasting, if it's dry it's probably is strong.

Going to try and brew some ginger beer when I get those swing caps.