On a Lighter Note Today... How About Food?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I brewed beer on board the yacht for more than 10 years...

I used 1 litre soda bottles for the fining step and they worked brilliantly because soda bottles can take the pressure.

At first, I used 1/2 litre glass beer bottles and the standard type caps. My first batch ever I must not have let the primary fermentation run long enough. About three days after bottling with the fining sugar, bottles began exploding! What a big, smelly mess... I switched to the plastic bottles, made sure to wait for the primary fermentation to finish before bottling.

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I brewed beer on board the yacht for more than 10 years...

I used 1 litre soda bottles for the fining step and they worked brilliantly because soda bottles can take the pressure.

At first, I used 1/2 litre glass beer bottles and the standard type caps. My first batch ever I must not have let the primary fermentation run long enough. About three days after bottling with the fining sugar, bottles began exploding! What a big, smelly mess... I switched to the plastic bottles, made sure to wait for the primary fermentation to finish before bottling.

Was you making cider or beer? I'm just making apple wine so no need to carbonate, unless I want fizzy wine.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Was you making cider or beer? I'm just making apple wine so no need to carbonate, unless I want fizzy wine.

I was making beer. It's up to you, but I much prefer carbonated cider or juice rather than still (flat) cider. If you want it still, then no worry about what type of bottles you use, so long as you don't bottle before the primary fermentation is done. Or, you can always just do one or two bottles with carbonation to compare and see how you like it compared to the still wine?... decisions...decisions...

Additionally, I used a real plastic bottle designed for brewing - 5 gallons U.S. or Imperial or 20 litres. The nice things about that were that it had a large opening at the top so it was easy to get in and clean it thoroughly between batches, and it had a tap about 2 inches off the bottom of the bottle. This allowed me to tap off the beer and leave all the sediment still in the bottle. Yet I still would cheat and tilt the bottle to maybe get just one more litre out of a batch. The sediment is unsightly but won't hurt you.

Hmmm.... I am thinking to start a new topic for Quarantine Wine? Anybody wish to second that motion? There seems to be interest here and I am already ordering in supplies...

If so, would one of the mods be so kind as to move the drink posts over there? It's worth a glass of hard cider after I make some...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I am thinking to start a new topic for Quarantine Wine? Anybody wish to second that motion? There seems to be interest here and I am already ordering in supplies...

I will second that motion. Where are you ordering homebrew supplies from?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I will second that motion. Where are you ordering homebrew supplies from?

I am just following what, I think, Insite and some others mentioned - Lazada carries wine making yeast (it should be different from beer making yeast because it is more tolerant of the higher alcohol level in wine vs. beer). They also carry the airlock fittings for the caps that allow the CO2 to escape but not let air into the containers. Oh... not sure if it is really necessary, but I also ordered hygrometer to measure the specific gravity to determine alcohol content. That can also help indicate when the primary fermentation has ended.

So, this is new to me - wine making (or fruit juice distilling?). I think @insiteso far seems to have a good handle on this and so does someone else, but I forget right now who that is... I think Shopee might carry these and other items too, but I have never used that service before so don't know...

Edit: When brewing beer, the common wisdom suggested using corn sugar rather than cane sugar. I think it was supposed to give it a better flavour. But I will just try the white sugar available unless someone has a better idea.... I am all ears!

Anyone interested in continuing, the new topic is here:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/31836-quarantine-wine/

Edited by Tommy T.