Thank you Beer Gods

Heeb
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

They're from Northern Brewer, online. I have two IPAs: Chinook, Dead Ringer (which is a clone for Bell's Two Hearted Ale), and a blonde ale 'Cashmere Blond'. They're all primarily LME. I don't have the wherewithal to do all-grain.

You can get grains and supplies from BrewHa Brewshop on Facebook. They're in Tagaytay. They have a selection of malts, hops, yeasts and equipment. They will measure out to your recipe and crack the malt for you. I bought my first fermentation vessel from him/them before they went into business. I don't know how the lockdown affects their delivery.

I've done the Chinook and dead Ringer IPA clones using Norther Brewers recipes, both were fantastic beers. I shipped a 20l speidel braumeister in a balikbayan box, it makes all grain pretty much plug and play and it's 220v, I've had it for about 11 years. Thanks for the tip on BrewHa, prices aren't too bad considering, I'm sure they probably won't be shipping during this crazy time. I can't figure out why my pics are coming out sideways but here it is.

IMG_1320.jpg

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Well I kegged my latest beer yesterday and hooked them up to the CO2 tank to pressurize, got up this morning and I'm out of CO2...screwed, no way to refill now. I might throw some sugar in them and let them naturally carbonate, I will get a few beers out before the pressure is lost, then I just wait for better days I guess.

• Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Well, after 3 weeks and 3 days I gave in and started to drink alcohol again, the longest I have been sober since I was 15.

Dogs barking at each other 12 am and no sign of sleep, sod it, downstairs I went and poured a large glass of Tanduay and ice.

Not the best place to give up drinking. :cheersty:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/21/2020 at 7:25 PM, Heeb said:

What beer kits do you have? Are they clones? I wish I had brought some dark grains for a stout, I'll have to have my friend fill up another box at some point. I thought that there would be some microbreweries around subic when I decided to land here but there's notta, there's one Philippine brewer that has an IPA and imperial IPA in the royal store here but it's not good at all, tastes too fruity, I miss variety, pretty much lager or bust here unless you live near Makati or maybe in Cebu city

Baguio Brewery set up shop in Harbor Point a year or two ago, and like so many places at Harbor Point, it only lasted ~ 6 months.  I think they are still going strong in Baguio but who knows what may happen given the current problems.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Baguio Brewery set up shop in Harbor Point a year or two ago, and like so many places at Harbor Point, it only lasted ~ 6 months.  I think they are still going strong in Baguio but who knows what may happen given the current problems.

when we moved here I thought it was still open because it still showed up on google maps with open hours, I walked around the mall for an hour looking for it...what a disappointment, that Enkanto IPA  or whatever the name is that they sell in Royal duty free is swill.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

Well, after 3 weeks and 3 days I gave in and started to drink alcohol again, the longest I have been sober since I was 15.

Dogs barking at each other 12 am and no sign of sleep, sod it, downstairs I went and poured a large glass of Tanduay and ice.

Not the best place to give up drinking. :cheersty:

I brought a few bottles of Blanton’s bourbon here that my brother gave me, I’m not a hard liquor drinker but in times like these I think I shall acquire the taste. Cheers 

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Heeb said:

that Enkanto IPA  or whatever the name is that they sell in Royal duty free is swill.

Three beers from them just showed up at S&R here in Davao: the Double IPA, the IPA, and the lager. I thought the double was okay, as far as being attuned to the Filipino palate but the IPA tasted almost the same. I didn't see the point to the lager. With a million less expensive lagers available, why bother?

I normally tough it out with Heineken or, in dire straits, SanMig. My days of going down to the beer bar and buying a dozen bottles of my fave Cebruery or Turning Wheels beers are over. P500 just for the taxis and P150+ per bottle? No can do no mo'.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The one across the road from me in the IT park Cebu is closed like most business for now. They rarely did much good there anyway. The price is to high for a glass of beer.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Three beers from them just showed up at S&R here in Davao: the Double IPA, the IPA, and the lager. I thought the double was okay, as far as being attuned to the Filipino palate but the IPA tasted almost the same. I didn't see the point to the lager. With a million less expensive lagers available, why bother?

I normally tough it out with Heineken or, in dire straits, SanMig. My days of going down to the beer bar and buying a dozen bottles of my fave Cebruery or Turning Wheels beers are over. P500 just for the taxis and P150+ per bottle? No can do no mo'.

It's possible that the Enkanto I tasted was from a different batch, I was a bit to harsh calling it swill but it tasted like it was fermented at too high a temperature and thus too fruity for me but it was drinkeable, I didn't want another after I was done, they may have a problem controlling fermentation temp with the weather here, I'm using a temp controller I got on Lazada. I had a couple of beers in Boracay at Los Indios Bravos restaurant that were good, I don't remember the name of the brewery and I also had a couple at Bikes and Brews in Angeles that were good, I almost wish we had moved there.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The one across the road from me in the IT park Cebu is closed like most business for now. They rarely did much good there anyway. The price is to high for a glass of beer.

I think that's probably the reason that craft beer hasn't caught hold here like most other places, the cost. The ingredients have to be imported, hops will grow in the Philippines but won't flower due to the short light cycle all year long, plus most Filipinos can't afford to pay the higher prices and I suspect there's some pride that goes with drinking the local beer.