RAF History Buffs

intrepid
Posted
Posted

For you RAF guys or others interested in fun history.  I did not know of this incident but maybe some of you older military men may remember.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Way cool... I note in his last photo he is in front of a Spitfire, perhaps?

I always wanted to fly in a Spitfire - I consider that to be the greatest prop plane in history!

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Excellent post !I used to live near RAF Finnigley in Yorkshire.. .and can recall way back in the 1960s when I was still a young lad that every 6pm they would turn the engines on of the Vulcan bomber. They did this so as to be ready for the Russians apparently as this was at the height of the Cold War. This was a monstrous plane.  More RAF stories please...

Yes the Vulcan was another plane like the Lightning than could go vertical at the end of the runway. A favourite at 1960s airshows.

• Like 4

Mick
Posted
Posted

Screenshot_20200320_200120.jpg

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted
On 3/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, Tommy T. said:

Way cool... I note in his last photo he is in front of a Spitfire, perhaps?

I always wanted to fly in a Spitfire - I consider that to be the greatest prop plane in history!

The Mustang was better but not until they put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in it.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, DavidK said:

The Mustang was better but not until they put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in it.

Didn't the original Alison engine suffer from a disintegrating flywheel.

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

My favourite was the 'Mosquito', which used two Spitfire engines, and was reputed to be the fastest aircraft of ANY kind, when first put into service (initially only as a reconaissance plane, because of its high-altitude capability).  Made mainly of plywood !  

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 3/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, Freebie said:

Excellent post !I used to live near RAF Finnigley in Yorkshire.. .and can recall way back in the 1960s when I was still a young lad that every 6pm they would turn the engines on of the Vulcan bomber. They did this so as to be ready for the Russians apparently as this was at the height of the Cold War. This was a monstrous plane.  More RAF stories please...

I'm a Pontefract lad, so not too far from Finningley also. 

Agree on the Vulcan. Impressive aircraft... and also used as a test bed for the Concorde engines.

Not many people know that. :biggrin:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

One of my oldest friends fathers dropped the second stick of bombs on Berlin during WW2

He was bomb aimer navigator in a hampden designated no2 in line

A few missions later on their return to england ,the airfield was coveredin fog , he informed the pilot that they were close to the airfield , they saw fires in front of them and landed ,in those days the raf would light 5 gallon drums of fuel around the landing field to lift the fog 

Unfortunately in this case the flames came from crashed aircraft  , they themselves crashed and the following day returned to the wreck 

My friends father wresled the bomb aiming sight out of the plane ,i was allowed by my friend to read his dads log book and hold the piece of sight 

Real history 

• Like 1
  • Love it 4