RAF History Buffs

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, graham59 said:

My favourite was the 'Mosquito', which used two Spitfire engines, and was reputed to be the fastest aircraft of ANY kind, when first put into service (initially only as a reconaissance plane, because of its high-altitude capability).  Made mainly of plywood !  

Spoke to a mosquito pilot many years ago ,he ended up flying f15s for the saudis , i asked him what was his favourite plane ,he said mosquito ,a real lady with both engines but a bitch to fly with one

One if my biker buddies lives at the old pathfinder airfield at little staughton, his home is now the old control tower 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Spoke to a mosquito pilot many years ago ,he ended up flying f15s for the saudis , i asked him what was his favourite plane ,he said mosquito ,a real lady with both engines but a bitch to fly with one

One if my biker buddies lives at the old pathfinder airfield at little staughton, his home is now the old control tower 

Just think the stories that building could tell.

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

One of my oldest friends fathers dropped the second stick of bombs on Berlin during WW2

He was bomb aimer navigator in a hampden designated no2 in line

A few missions later on their return to england ,the airfield was coveredin fog , he informed the pilot that they were close to the airfield , they saw fires in front of them and landed ,in those days the raf would light 5 gallon drums of fuel around the landing field to lift the fog 

Unfortunately in this case the flames came from crashed aircraft  , they themselves crashed and the following day returned to the wreck 

My friends father wresled the bomb aiming sight out of the plane ,i was allowed by my friend to read his dads log book and hold the piece of sight 

Real history 

Wow.  Great story and history.  Thanks!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2020 at 5:30 PM, DavidK said:

The Mustang was better but not until they put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in it.

Not meaning to dispute you, David... but my recollections from reading war history were that the Mustang was heavy and a bit slow, but very solid and robust. I love that plane also.

The Spitfire was known to be quick and agile - from my remembered readings (yes... 20 years ago or more, so they may be very faulty)

I remember reading that the Mustang was solid, not so quick, but also could endure a fair amount of damage before finally failing in battle. The Spitfire was lighter and faster, but could not sustain as much damage as the Mustang.

Please correct me if my remembrances are incorrect?

Either way... I would love to fly in either one!!!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Not meaning to dispute you, David... but my recollections from reading war history were that the Mustang was heavy and a bit slow, but very solid and robust. I love that plane also.

The Spitfire was known to be quick and agile - from my remembered readings (yes... 20 years ago or more, so they may be very faulty)

I remember reading that the Mustang was solid, not so quick, but also could endure a fair amount of damage before finally failing in battle. The Spitfire was lighter and faster, but could not sustain as much damage as the Mustang.

Altitude, the Mustang with Allison engine was very fast at lower altitudes. Packard built Merlin engine was the magic bullet.

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Fascinating stuff, eh. 

If any of you guys are interested, and need a good read during these trying 'lockdown' times, may I suggest having a look at this man's life story ?  (Just learned that he lived to 97 years too. Happy for him ! )

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eric-brown-unflappable-british-test-pilot-who-set-world-records-dies-at-97/2016/02/22/059d7a26-d974-11e5-925f-1d10062cc82d_story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Paul Allens toy box is a out an hour north of me. They host a fly in called Sky Fair every summer great to see all the vintage aircraft.

http://flyingheritage.org

At Boeing Field in Seattle during the first week of August there is another huge fly-in. Confederate Air-force and many other aircraft arrive that week. Some you can donate and then ride.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

I really love those sort of events... and I'm really appreciative of our American friends' efforts to keep these old aircraft (and other vehicles) beautifully preserved, and in use, where possible. :thumbsup:  

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I believe the afore-mentioned Eric Brown when asked which of the Spitfire/Mustang he would prefer stated "In a dogfight over Berlin I'd prefer the Spitfire, to fly home in afterwards the Mustang" or something of that ilk.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, DavidK said:

I believe the afore-mentioned Eric Brown when asked which of the Spitfire/Mustang he would prefer stated "In a dogfight over Berlin I'd prefer the Spitfire, to fly home in afterwards the Mustang" or something of that ilk.

If we can go to nearer the end of the war then I'd choose the Hurricane over the later Spitfire and by that time the Mustang had evolved into more of a multi purpose aircraft with significant ground attack capabilities.  

The hurricane was... more functional... at higher altitudes and height was safety.

Speaking as an ex pilot... I've give my left arm for a decent fly in any of them :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4