coronavirus/covid 19

peterfe
Posted
Posted

There seem to be a number of posts here and there about the virus, but surely it would be good to have a thread here, where it belongs. I had to look quite hard on the Internet to find the information I wanted, namely statistics showing the number of cases in different countries per head of population. All four news sites I regularly look at only give the actual numbers, often in a sensationalist kind of way. The Philippines comes out pretty well per capita, especially down here in Cebu City and Cebu Province, where there is one confirmed case in a population comparable to that of Denmark (1326 cases) or Norway (2164 cases). China has fewer cases per capita than most Western European countries (and very few new ones recently), but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more countries advising their citizens not to travel to China than to Western Europe.

A useful website I've found is: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/philippines

where you can substitute other countries for philippines to see the trends there. It's important to look at the number of "closed cases'' (people who have recovered or died). For China, you can see that the vast majority of the cases are closed now. The most important graph, I feel, is "daily new cases". Here you can see a huge difference between China and most other countries, including the Philippines. Of course there are many factors behind the numbers of reported cases, such as the number of people tested, but until we see a clear trend like the one in China here in the Philippines or in your home country, we won't have turned the corner.    

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Do we REALLY need another thread on the same subject with the same information as all the other similar threads? 

I will leave that to admin @Jollygoodfellow  but in the meantime members are free to answer this thread or continue on the first thread on the subject (still quite active) at this link:

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Well, I hadn't noticed there was a thread under Life as an Expat.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
peterfe
Posted
Posted

Copied from 'sending and exchanging money':

My partner may not know the difference between Austria and Australia, but she has plenty of local knowledge. If you have an accident or fall ill, but not seriously enough for an ambulance, contact the barangay and they will take you to hospital in their own vehicle (which presumably will encounter no problems at checkpoints). When your treatment is over, you or the person with you call the barangay and they will come and collect you and bring you home. She said they will take you to a private hospital in another nearby city if that's what you want. Apparently you don't have to give them money for petrol or anything, but of course the hospital or doctor will need money.

Of course, neither she or I have any idea whether this would be equally straightforward in every barangay in the country, so it would be good to check locally to make sure, especially if you have a condition that could suddenly deteriorate. 

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As an aside, Dave Hounddriver, it seems like we have way too many categories.  It can be a pain in the ass when posting a new topic to figure out which of the dozens of categories to put it in.  Just my 2 cents there! :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

it seems like we have way too many categories.

I agree and Jollygoodfellow has mentioned it too.  However it is like a virus.  For every one I fix, two more spring up.  Everyone wants to have his say and in these times I leave it to the boss to decide.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Virus got another name I see.  SARS-CoV-2

Wonder why they need so many names for one virus

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 3/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Virus got another name I see.  SARS-CoV-2

Wonder why they need so many names for one virus

How else can we create new topics on this forum? :tongue:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How else can we create new topics on this forum? :tongue:

Have we? I must have missed them :whistling:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Have we? I must have missed them :whistling:

Quite - maybe I should have qualified - same topic, different title!  

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic