New Visa

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Went for a new tourist visa today, every thing went ok, secured a 2 months extension at Island Mall on Mactan, took a whole 10 minutes to complete. A few different things but, face mask must be worn, only a limited amount of people are allowed in the office proper 8 I think was the number, anyone else must wait outside till some one leaves. There is a 1 meter distance to be keep from other people including the counter staff.

What was more of a worry, I went to the supermarket that is located in the mall and which was open, I was told anyone over 65 will be denied access, as I am over that age I don't know how I am going to be able to buy food or pay my bills as I live alone now, so no-one to do the shopping, just drink more beer, maybe they just want the oldies to die of, save them a problem.

Also just heard two cases of the virus have been detected in Lapu Lapu

Edited by frosty (chris)
add
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

What was more of a worry, I went to the supermarket that is located in the mall and which was open, I was told anyone over 65 will be denied access, as I am over that age I don't know how I am going to be able to buy food or pay my bills as I live alone now,

Maybe they will have special hours for seniors.

If they're not asking for I.D. proof of age...... just do the 'considered normal' thing.... lie.   You don't want to lose face, do you ?

If they are asking for proof of age, find an ID that has only your birth date on it, not you age in years when issued.  Chances are they can't do the mental math to quickly compute your age without a cheat sheet. You can subtract 10 years off your actual age, and argue that they are computing the ten's place digit wrong.

If all else fails, you'll just have to marry or hook-up with a Pinay to do your errands for you, like the rest of us poor souls. Ha-ha.    Wishing you luck, of course. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, frosty (chris) said:

What was more of a worry, I went to the supermarket that is located in the mall and which was open, I was told anyone over 65 will be denied access, as I am over that age I don't know how I am going to be able to buy food or pay my bills as I live alone now, so no-one to do the shopping

It's time to become more modern, Grab food app for takeout is better than nothing.

Do you have a Philippines bank account where you can pay bills online?

Lupu is supposed to be locked down on the 29th so if like Mandaue only one person can go out to shop so if you have a pass issued and since you are the only one living there you should then I dont think they will stop you from shopping for food.

Anyway, Is there a neighbor or someone that could do some shopping for you? 

graham59
Posted
Posted

I've been taking 10 years off my age since I was 23... I mean....13.  :huh:

Find somebody to shop for you.... or lie. Talking life or death here mate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

We order everything online. Landers, S&R, Robinsons (on metromart) all deliver. Not sure which ones are in Cebu but some of them must be.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I pay all my bills at 7-11 but cannot leave the barangay, because I do not have a quarantine pass. Only one per house, and it is in my wife's name.  

How a single over 65 year old is supposed to get groceries, I have no idea. I am sure "they" assume all older people have family living with them, and never thought about making provisions for it... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I am sure "they" assume all older people have family living with them, and never thought about making provisions for it... 

With all the people with no work it shouldn't be hard to find someone to do a little shopping. Just dont get much until you are sure they come back with the goods.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

What was more of a worry, I went to the supermarket that is located in the mall and which was open, I was told anyone over 65 will be denied access, as I am over that age I don't know how I am going to be able to buy food or pay my bills as I live alone now, so no-one to do the shopping, just drink more beer, maybe they just want the oldies to die of, save them a problem.

We just got our quarantine passes for the Subic Bay Freeport.  One per household but any qualified household member can use it to go out for necessities.

One of the qualifications listed in the FAQ was the user must be between 18 and 59 years old.  This immediately raised an outcry from the residents, as we have many like you and also many older retired couples.  And many people here don't have their hired help available.

I did some research.  Nowhere in the National Guidelines for the quarantines is there an age restriction.  So, this is an example of an LGU over stepping their authority and creating local rules more strict than the national rules.  The president just spoke out against this a few days ago.  National guidelines must not be exceeded by LGUs.

Find out who controls your local rules and if there is someone you can ask for help with this.  Here we have a local neighborhood group to take these issues to.

In our case, they already backed off.  60 and over are allowed to use the pass.  They changed the wording to "over 59 are allowed to use it but strongly discouraged from doing so."

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Find out who controls your local rules

The issues is the Cebu governor has put a curfew on minors and over 65. They are not meant to leave home unless for medical treatment.  Today according to the news the Gov and local mayors will be meeting to plan a lock down everywhere in Cebu

https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/03/22/cebu-province-imposes-24-hour-curfew-for-students-elderly/ 

ADDED

https://www.rappler.com/nation/255865-cebu-province-placed-lockdown-coronavirus

“Under a lockdown, all work will have to stop and everyone will be required to stay inside 24 hours a day except for essential services,” she said.

The lockdown will last for a period of 20 to 30 days.

• Thanks 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice, all good. I really don't think the powers that be thought this out, there must be many over 65's married and single, locals and expats,that need to be able to get out and go about their business. There are certain things you just have to do in person, visa, money, medicine, doctor's and not so important as food, water, laundry. I can understand the need for the lock down but surely common sense should prevail ( oops it's the P.I). Maybe the authorities will find plenty of over 65's dead through lack of food and water after the 30 days. Well I do have plenty of booze and the sari store 3 houses up has plenty, I wait until dark, put my dark clothes on, blacken up ( can i say that in these PC times) and do a raid with my empty SML looking for refills.

As an aside a very good friend was laid off today after 13 years because of the virus, she received 5kg's of rice 10 cans of food, holiday pay and bye bye baby, no pay.

• Sad 1