US Approved Corvid Stimulus Package- Where's The Money

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

Got some interesting, possible bad news if you are getting the Stimulus by paper check. Seems the US Postal service has stopped delivery to 72 countries! I've been trying to see/find the list of countries to see if the Philippines is on the list! See https://finance.yahoo.com/news/usps-halting-international-services-72-153354970.html 

Philippines is not on the list yet.  The list is at the bottom of this page:

https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm

On the IRS "Get my payment" page, note the highlighted part.  I do get an SSA 1099.

You May Need:

• Your 2019 return, if filed, and
  • Your 2018 return

Data is updated once per day overnight, so there's no need to check back more than once per day.

Note: If you receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits, your information is not yet available in this application.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I think that they have determined that the most deserving people will get the checks first. That's why I have received mine. And that's why TT and some of you are having problems. :hystery:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

We really do need an icon we can click that shows "vomit," as a reaction!

So this will have to do until then!:1927_:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I thought this might be of interest to some of the people posting in this thread (not sure if it effects expats or just people resident in the USA).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/u-citizens-married-immigrants-blocked-145343198.html

• Sad 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I thought this might be of interest to some of the people posting in this thread (not sure if it effects expats or just people resident in the USA).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/u-citizens-married-immigrants-blocked-145343198.html

This affects all expats/residents: 

Some U.S. citizens aren’t eligible for stimulus checks — because they’re married to immigrants
The coronavirus stimulus package was meant to put emergency spending money into the economy, issuing a $1,200 check to most Americans that they can use to pay their bills in this time of hardship, and help stimulate businesses in the process. Now, though, we’re learning about all the strings that are coming attached to that hastily passed package — including the fact that U.S. citizens aren’t eligible to receive the money if they’re married and filed taxes jointly with an immigrant who doesn’t have a social security number.

They key point is if they don't have an SSN!

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I read that article and found it to be an extremely biased anti-president article.  Typical for Yahoo News to dig up that version of the news.

It does appear to be the case.  I did some research.  If one person in a joint filed tax return used an ITIN, the couple and their kids become ineligible.

However, there are already some bills being written to fix it.  I would say there is a good chance that it will be changed.

There are a couple of FB groups and pages about it.  Search Mixed-Status.

Writing your congressman is probably helpful.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There are a couple of FB groups and pages about it.

Arizona kid a member ?  :biggrin:

• Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Cant comment on the USA situation, but here in the UK , government borrowing will hit 45 billion for this month 

To put that figure into perspective, thats how much we spend on primary schools , police and fire brigade in a year 

They are making noises about the economy shrinking to levels we have never seen before 

If borrowing goes on at this months rate for 6 months , it will take decades to repay 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We got our income tax refund last week and the stimulus payment earlier this week.

With that I bought a six pack for this weekend;

93844874_2982070745172962_4378868348255993856_n.jpg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This is an appeal for help from our U.S. Citizen members.  Some of you may be in the same boat as I am, and will not get a stimulus payment unless something changes.  There is a online petition at WhiteHouse.gov.  This a non-partisan way of getting the attention of the Whitehouse and was started during the last administration.

The text of the petition says it better than I can:

Millions of Americans are being excluded from getting a stimulus check from the IRS due to the discrimination in the Cares act bill against Mixed status families. Those who file joint returns with SSNs and ITIN numbers have been completely disqualified as an entire family from getting this much needed assistance (with the exception of military families). We pay our taxes every year and demand to be included at least for those who have SSNS on those returns. We are AMERICAN CITIZENS and so are our children and we demand to be included. No taxpayer left behind act or a new amendment including those with SSNs on joint returns with ITIN holders.

It only takes your e-mail and name to sign it.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/include-mixed-status-ssn-itin-cares-act-economic-relief-fund?fbclid=IwAR3xz5D0KBnF-Tc34BE1JnVv5D5AEI0-sgKuPv5-6IBU-aAOxhtEUVmiCnE

I would be fine if they exclude the ITIN spouse from getting a payment, but to exclude the whole family for simply filing a joint return with a ITIN on it!  Ridiculous!

On a side note, there are millions of non-citizens who have SS numbers.  They will get the payment.  No problem.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic