US Approved Corvid Stimulus Package- Where's The Money

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But I am puzzled why they mailed it instead of the direct deposit like my SS payments?

Now that you have said this, it appears that their logic will not look to SS info unless they do not have bank info and address info from your tax returns.  E.g., didn't file a 2018 or 2019 return.  I suspected this might be the case.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Now that you have said this, it appears that their logic will not look to SS info unless they do not have bank info and address info from your tax returns.  E.g., didn't file a 2018 or 2019 return.  I suspected this might be the case.

I entered my bank info into the GetMyPayment page on irs.gov since my most recent tax returns did not contain any bank info. Mine was direct deposited into that account. But that is the same account to which my SS is deposited. So I don't know if doing the GetMyPayment made any difference.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

The website indicates the IRS "mailed" my check on May 1 to my Philippine address.  I was under the impression that those of us with direct deposit social security payments would get direct deposit.  Hopefully the check will arrive in the next month or so.  But then we will need for the quarantine to end to deposit the check as our bank is in Cebu City.  By then the bank my say "Sorry Sir, check is too old."   And even if they do accept it for deposit, the funds are not available to spend for 30 days.  And my get through the lockdown" two beer emergency supply is long since exhausted.  I am going for a three beer minimum stash when this is all over. 

CCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):     

Edited by Mike J
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Mike J said:

But then we will need for the quarantine to end to deposit the check as our bank is in Cebu City.

Sorry to hear that, Mike. I fear you are not the only one with a similar situation.

Hang in there. Perhaps you can find another way to get that check deposited once you receive it? My remembrance regarding government checks is that they are good for 90 days?

And there must be someone, somewhere near you who might spare a good man a couple of beers?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And there must be someone, somewhere near you who might spare a good man a couple of beers?

Won't happen here, I am still in the Philippines. :tongue:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

I filed taxes in 2019 but I owed, we should have received something though by my calculation. This is what I got:

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.
Edited by Heeb
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I filed taxes in 2019 but I owed, we should have received something though by my calculation. This is what I got:

Could you please keep us updated, Heeb? I would think it is the first reason rather than the second?

Curious - maybe I forgot - but are you using a Philippine or USA address when filing income tax returns?

Heeb
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Could you please keep us updated, Heeb? I would think it is the first reason rather than the second?

Curious - maybe I forgot - but are you using a Philippine or USA address when filing income tax returns?

I'm using my U.S. address, and I used my checking account to pay my taxes, I also receive a VA disability so they have no reason not to pay out. It doesn't bother me too much since it's not the full $2400 but if they pass a bill for $2,000 a month I will be upset, like I said in an earlier post there's a flaw in the way they are paying out, I'm retired now, and living off of significantly less than when I was working but the stimulus is tied to my 2019 return, someone suggested I file now but it won't help because I worked until July when I retired last year, and I also pulled 150k from my 401k to finance the move over here, and that gets reported as income. No I'm not hurting but there's also plenty of people that are getting the stimulus checks that are currently working and doing fine, it's also meant to stimulate the economy as I understand.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I also pulled 150k from my 401k to finance the move over here, and that gets reported as income.

Are you sure about that? Not doubting you, but I don't know how that all works. My thinking is that "they" would just look at earned income? It would seem that, if they do, indeed, view that withdrawal as income, you may not be eligible?

At least, if you do get a payment, it will go to a USA address rather than here.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

The stimulus checks are tied to adjusted gross income which includes 401k income since it's only tax deferred, I think I'm probably just going to have to take in in the shorts.

• Sad 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic