US Approved Corvid Stimulus Package- Where's The Money

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Look on the bright side. At least you might get something this year and it will turn up as a surprise. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, roddavis said:

An update for all you expats still waiting on their stimulus checks or maybe I am the only one:

I have not go mine either.  It was supposed to have been mail in early May.  Assuming it does get here, I wonder if the bank will still honor a check that is months old?   So they said they will continue to send checks instead of direct deposit, even if they are convinced the check never got here?

Edited by Mike J

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I have not go mine either.  It was supposed to have been mail in early May.  Assuming it does get here, I wonder if the bank will still honor a check that is months old?   So they said they will continue to send checks instead of direct deposit, even if they are convinced the check never got here?

Well Mike J, because Phlpost has suspended delivery, it maybe a while yet. If you are lucky, USPS was suppose to mark any mail to PI  as deliverable and return to sender(treasury). If and when the IRS see's this return, then they are to update your "Get My Payment" portal online as needing more info, then you can update by supplying your bank account info. But how long does it take to register the return is anyone's guess. IRS still haven't processed 1040 returns sent by mail. I understand they had 10 million pieces of mail in trucks to process. So maybe yours and mine checks are in the same truck. IRS said to monitor your GMP portal when it updates.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Well Mike J, because Phlpost has suspended delivery, it maybe a while yet. If you are lucky, USPS was suppose to mark any mail to PI  as deliverable and return to sender(treasury). If and when the IRS see's this return, then they are to update your "Get My Payment" portal online as needing more info, then you can update by supplying your bank account info. But how long does it take to register the return is anyone's guess. IRS still haven't processed 1040 returns sent by mail. I understand they had 10 million pieces of mail in trucks to process. So maybe yours and mine checks are in the same truck. IRS said to monitor your GMP portal when it updates.

"The check is in the mail" if we live long enough to see it.  :hystery:

• Sad 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I was on the Get My Payment IRS website yesterday, resubmitting my data.  The response was that they would mail mine.  My daughter in the states where I receive my mail has been watching for it since April, but its still a  'no show' at this time.

If they still haven't gotten around to people like me who get directly deposited SSA retirement benefits, and filed Fed tax returns up to the 2018 year, I can only imagine how long it will take for people on the bottom of the 'send to' list to receive their's when compounded by overseas addresses.  I have given up expecting it within any sort of reasonable time frame, and will pursue it without any expectation.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
roddavis
Posted
Posted

Ongoing saga continues!

Called IRS on Jun 24th, eight weeks from when GMP reported my check was mailed and had IRS put a trace on the check. They said it would take upto 6 weeks to see if check was accepted or returned or lost between the US and Philippines or between Manila and Cebu!

Just for grins, checked Get My Payment portal with IRS, surprise, surprise( as Gomer Pyle would say). Now asking for additional info. Input my US bank info and it was accepted! Just half to check back in a few days to see when direct deposit is! From the research on Reddit for MikeJ, I don't think they will accept a foreign bank account. So for those of you waiting on a mailed check to the Philippines( which because of Phlpost in quarantine) , you could try to put a trace on your check, and if you have a US bank account, you can get your bank info into the IRS!:waiting_80_anim_gif:

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
Heeb
Posted
Posted

I just did my taxes on Turbotax and they asked me if I received any stimulus money and I answered no because I never did, well it shows that I'm entitled to the money based on our 2020 income and it auto-generated into my tax refund, $3600 dollars! It's called the "Recovery Rebate Credit" by IRS, instead o 142 dollar refund I'm getting $3742. hopefully now I'm going to get the next round since I've filed.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I just did my taxes on Turbotax and they asked me if I received any stimulus money and I answered no because I never did, well it shows that I'm entitled to the money based on our 2020 income and it auto-generated into my tax refund, $3600 dollars! It's called the "Recovery Rebate Credit" by IRS, instead o 142 dollar refund I'm getting $3742. hopefully now I'm going to get the next round since I've filed.

I got screwed again.  For the first payment last year, I could not get it because I filed 2019 taxes jointly with my wife who has an ITIN.  So they changed that ITIN rule, and in theory my 2 kids and I could get the first one by taking it as credit on 2020 taxes.  However, when you take is as credit on 2020 taxes, you use 2020 AGI to determine eligibility.  My 2020 income is "artificially" high due to selling my house, so I don't qualify.  $2200 down the drain.

The second payment, $1800 for my kids and I, was mailed on January 6th, to the Philippines.  I have no idea where it is.  If I don't get it in the mail, it is history too, as I can't get it on my 2020 taxes.

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I got screwed again.  For the first payment last year, I could not get it because I filed 2019 taxes jointly with my wife who has an ITIN.  So they changed that ITIN rule, and in theory my 2 kids and I could get the first one by taking it as credit on 2020 taxes.  However, when you take is as credit on 2020 taxes, you use 2020 AGI to determine eligibility.  My 2020 income is "artificially" high due to selling my house, so I don't qualify.  $2200 down the drain.

The second payment, $1800 for my kids and I, was mailed on January 6th, to the Philippines.  I have no idea where it is.  If I don't get it in the mail, it is history too, as I can't get it on my 2020 taxes.

If mail to your place is as bad as mine, it will take anything from 3 months to 11 months to pop through your mailbox. On the plus side, everything makes it here eventually as far as i can ascertain.

Hopefully the cheque has a long validity date - 6 months from memory for a UK one.

Sore one that you missed out last time.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That sucks, I had resigned myself to getting nilch because they were using tax data from when I was still working, such a poor way of rolling these stimulus’s out, I’m not sure if I filed these taxes today in time to get the next round or not, might have to wait until 2022.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic