A hard choice

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There is a lot of confusion around masks and what they do (I am talking about the surgical masks and similar here not the N95 respirator masks).

The reason that the Australian government said that they were almost useless is that they don't protect the wearer against the virus to any significant amount.

So why do so many countries require or at least strongly recommend every one wears one?

Well the thing is.. if a person who is infected coughs (which is the main mode of droplet infection) then the surgical mask catches the majority of the droplets.

If you have a population where basically everyone is wearing a mask then every infected person will cough into the face mask and not onto other people and that is what reduces infection rates.

The take away from this is that for surgical (and similar) type masks to work everyone has to wear them.

And Australia is struggling to get enough masks to supply their front line medical workers let alone other legitimate users.  Dentists for example are basically shut down they give you a prescription for pain meds and possibly anti biotics and send you home.  So the Australian government are saying "don't wear masks, they don't help and we need them for our front line medical workers".  That's a... spin... but it's not totally untrue.

That's my 2 cents anyway... 

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Can't believe people still think it's the same as the flu. When was the last time the flu started closing hospitals, killing doctors & used every ventilator in the world?

Difference...first that come to mind is we do have the flu shot.....not so with virus.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

This is my final post on this topic to you Tom.  You'll be happy to hear that! 

Can't you see the glaring inconsistency between the two statements?

To bring it back to my main point - under community quarantine rules your partner and working student are doing no wrong.  Under self-isolation they would be wrong. 

Hey HK take it easy on Tommy, perhaps your going to drive him away. I for one really enjoy his posts and the research and time he puts in.  

moving on, read somewhere an asymptomatic person will more readily spread this virus than one whom is showing symptoms....Now this is super scary if I have my facts correct.

• Like 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Hey HK take it easy on Tommy, perhaps your going to drive him away. I for one really enjoy his posts and the research and time he puts in.  

moving on, read somewhere an asymptomatic person will more readily spread this virus than one whom is showing symptoms....Now this is super scary if I have my facts correct.

And that my friend is what I think has caused the pandemic. An asymptomatic traveled from Wuhan to the first area in the States(Seattle), and of course showing no initial symptoms. Passed thru fever checks at airport, then infecting many as he passed thru airport and city. Hundreds now infected and spreading thru the airport and cities beyond. After a couple days, now the asymptomatic is now showing symptoms and is now visible sick. Reports to the hospital. and first liners are not prepared for virus protection. So they get infected. after a day or two now the compounding spread starts. People on planes flying out all over. The first reported case (Seattle) reported after waiting for a couple days for test results.

Asymptomatic s and lack of test kits in the beginning put the population behind the curve! I have to laugh when I see them checking temps at airports/checkpoints and they think they are safe. Sure you will catch 75% of those infected, but the CDC thinks at 25% are asymptomatic, showing no signs of infection. spreading the sorrow as they breath the air!  :SugarwareZ-034:

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

I won't deny I gave him a rough ride there - but I think it was warranted! :tongue:

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I won't deny I gave him a rough ride there - but I think it was warranted! :tongue:

Tommy can take it..trust me.:cheers:

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, GeoffH said:

Australia is struggling to get enough masks

Not recommending this for front line workers but, hey, masks aren't hard to make

mask.jpg

• Haha 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic