A hard choice

davewe
Posted
Posted

For the past 3 years whenever anyone asked me about American politics my answer was always something sarcastic like, "I don't care as long as the Social Security check clears." It got a laugh or a nod of the head. But I can't help but wonder what we'd feel like if a few months from now our respective governments or former employers came to us and said, "We're broke. There's no more pension." I suspect we'd all want them to find the money.

Now I don't think this is gonna happen; I'm fundamentally a positive person. I also don't think millions are going to die of Covid-19 with the measures we are taking. But a month or two from now some very difficult decisions are gonna have to be made and some of those criteria will be economic and social, as well as medical.

This disease is not going to be defeated by governments. It can only be defeated by all individuals religiously following protocols. Become hand Nazis. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, davewe said:

"We're broke. There's no more pension."

The major reason that it wont happen is that old retired folks have nothing else to do but VOTE.

Touching SS is a sure way to get voted out of office lolol :thumbsup:

graham59
Posted
Posted

I believe around 15% of the UK population are pensioners...who don't like being messed with.  That's a pretty large voting block. 

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

The major reason that it wont happen is that old retired folks have nothing else to do but VOTE.

Touching SS is a sure way to get voted out of office lolol :thumbsup:

True under normal circumstances - but this ain't normal. Now, as I said I certainly do not expect this to happen for the reason you state and others. But I have to believe the millions of people who have and will lose their jobs also vote and sooner or later will want the society and their jobs to be made whole again. Hard decisions may have to be made and there will be a balance of some kind between the medical, economic and societal priorities. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

That is a new and interesting point.  The world Olympic Committee decided to postpone the Olympics for a year.  How many world governments might postpone elections for a year?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is a new and interesting point.  The world Olympic Committee decided to postpone the Olympics for a year.  How many world governments might postpone elections for a year?

The state of Queensland held elections in Australia yesterday, they used social distancing (lines of people were 1.5 meters apart and restricted the number of people in the voting cetre and the voting cubicles were spaced apart).

Despite all of that there was already some 'sources' saying the election should have been postponed.

I really don't want to see elections postponed but voting centers ARE going to cause extra infections even with precautions taken.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of online, electronic voting system implemeted at least during the lockdown period.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I really have not seen that here.  SM is closed, except for essential services, and SM has waived rent for this month. The city has almost 250 community kitchens cooking for people.  Our barangay has delivered multiple food parcel door to door. There is discussion of a cash disbursement to jeepney drivers...  I am impressed with how they are putting the people first. 

From my experience here this an exception not the rule. Congrats to them.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I never ever believe politicians are honest with words.... They will say whatever may advance their careers or agendas... At least that is what I have observed in my lifetime... 

Tom - I said more honest, that may mean less dishonest. 

Regardless, you're surely not suggesting ALL politicians tell lies ALL the time?  

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I really have not seen that here.  SM is closed, except for essential services, and SM has waived rent for this month. The city has almost 250 community kitchens cooking for people.  Our barangay has delivered multiple food parcel door to door. There is discussion of a cash disbursement to jeepney drivers...  I am impressed with how they are putting the people first. 

I was not referring specifically to this exceptional situation - my point referred to "normal times".

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic