ATM Machines in the Phills.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Since I moved from the UK I have never been able to pay a UK cheque into my accounts in either Hong Kong or here in the Philippines.  I have to send to either of my UK banks. 

That said, nowadays I never receive cheques so it's not really an issue.  

Hmmm, wonder why that is.  I am talking about my own personal check from my U.S. bank, written to myself and then deposited at BPI.  This is the main way I transfer money and is by far the cheapest way.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

When you send money to Transferwise, is it in your name?

I sent from my personal account in my Canadian bank account to my personal account in my Philippine bank account.  Both accounts in my name.  Bank to bank and converted to pesos via Transferwise.  I loved it.  Cheap and fast.  I was only able to do it because I maintained an address and bank account in Canada and another address and bank account in the Philippines.  That is a juggling act which some cannot manage.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

But can you pay your bills from here online - at this time it's very convenient to be able to do that?

The only bills here are Globe and electric. Globe I can pay online (at Globe) or at 7-11. The electric we pay at 7-11.  That would not be worth setting up a bank here. I have had both BPI an BDO, I am much happier banking from the US. Less fees, less bullshit.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Hmmm, wonder why that is.  I am talking about my own personal check from my U.S. bank, written to myself and then deposited at BPI.  This is the main way I transfer money and is by far the cheapest way.

We know why that is.  

Not much I can do about it though, it's damned difficult to open a UK bank account from here and I need (OK - want) an offshore one for tax reasons so doubly difficult. 

I just have to take the small hit on the chin.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I sent from my personal account in my Canadian bank account to my personal account in my Philippine bank account.  Both accounts in my name.  Bank to bank and converted to pesos via Transferwise.  I loved it.  Cheap and fast.  I was only able to do it because I maintained an address and bank account in Canada and another address and bank account in the Philippines.  That is a juggling act which some cannot manage.

I'm slightly confused about the Transferwise part - you must be giving your Canadian bank your transferwise details? That's the bit where my bank won't play ball I suspect.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm slightly confused about the Transferwise part - you must be giving your Canadian bank your transferwise details?

The other way around.  I give Transferwise the details of both bank accounts and they do it for me.  Some people have problems giving the sign in details to a third party like Transferwise.  I had a bit of hesitation at first but it worked for years with not problems.  I could have done it using my debit card instead of giving sign in details but it costs more as the bank charges the merchant when you use your debit card.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

The only bills here are Globe and electric. Globe I can pay online (at Globe) or at 7-11. The electric we pay at 7-11.  That would not be worth setting up a bank here. I have had both BPI an BDO, I am much happier banking from the US. Less fees, less bullshit.

I too wouldn't set up an account for paying bills, but it's a very convenient spin-off benefit of having an account here. My nearest 7-11s have turned off their bill-payer machines at the moment so that's out for me.  I'm grateful to have the online option at this moment. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The other way around.  I give Transferwise the details of both bank accounts and they do it for me.  Some people have problems giving the sign in details to a third party like Transferwise.  I had a bit of hesitation at first but it worked for years with not problems.  I could have done it using my debit card instead of giving sign in details but it costs more as the bank charges the merchant when you use your debit card.

Thanks. 

So, basically you have to give Transferwise your bank account log in details? 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There are much better ways.

So.. how do YOU do it? I haven't read the previous posts. I'm happy with what I have and don't have to go inside the bank and wait in line.:huh:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/31/2020 at 4:59 PM, Marvin Boggs said:

What happens when your bank changes owners, or they issue you a new card?  Last time my home bank issued me a card, it took a few weeks to reach me.  Then no matter what machine I tried it on, I could not get it to 'initialize' or whatever security measure they put on there.  So F it, that account is unworkable until I can go there in person apparently, which is in the US so maybe never.  Really glad I was not relying on it as my sole means of cash. 

NFCU has been around a long time. When my debit/credit cards are renewed they are sent to an FPO/ Fleet Post Office address that I set up at the RAO/Retired Activities Office in Angeles city via the US Postal Service. They go to the US Embassy in Manila, and then the RAO in Angeles. The mail room at the RAO forwards them to me at my house via DHL, LBC, or any other delivery service. I pay P150 per month to the mail room for this privilege. Used to have to call NFCU to activate the new card, but now can do it online.:biggrin: