The Visa / COVID interface.

Qeertybill
Posted
Posted

Travelling from provence to the city to extend could be a death sentencefor some, dangerous for all, while ambiguous pronouncements beg clarification. 
What are the facts? Are the immigration offices even open? Who is in charge? Why are not clear  policy statements/ instructions/ answers to most obvious questions forthcoming? Whoever is in charge please step forward. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Qeertybill said:

Travelling from provence to the city to extend could be a death sentencefor some, dangerous for all, while ambiguous pronouncements beg clarification. 
What are the facts? Are the immigration offices even open? Who is in charge? Why are not clear  policy statements/ instructions/ answers to most obvious questions forthcoming? Whoever is in charge please step forward. 

This is already been discussed. You do not have to renew during the quarantine period.   Also during enhanced quarantine you shouldn't be able to get into the city anyway so relax.

Ask here again for clarification.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

If renewing my visa was likely to be liife-threatening.... I could care less about it, but as has been stated above, no worries anyway. 

Edited to add:  There have always been 'agents' who will do the renewal for you anyway, at pretty small cost.

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, graham59 said:

There have always been 'agents' who will do the renewal for you anyway, at pretty small cost.

Considering the OP said he is in the province I dont think that would be possible anyway at this time.

ducecoop
Posted
Posted
On 3/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, graham59 said:

If renewing my visa was likely to be liife-threatening.... I could care less about it, but as has been stated above, no worries anyway. 

Edited to add:  There have always been 'agents' who will do the renewal for you anyway, at pretty small cost.

how to find these agents if can't leave the house? 

How to trust them with my money, passport. 

Can my fiancee go there for me on my behalf? 

Davao city 

Thanks Dave

On 3/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, graham59 said:

How to find these agents if I can't leave the house? 

How to trust them with my money, passport... 

Can my fiancee get for me on my behalf? She only has police clearance as ID

Davao city office

Thanks

Dave

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, ducecoop said:

how to find these agents if can't leave the house? 

How to trust them with my money, passport. 

Can my fiancee go there for me on my behalf? 

Davao city 

Thanks Dave

How to find these agents if I can't leave the house? 

How to trust them with my money, passport... 

Can my fiancee get for me on my behalf? She only has police clearance as ID

Davao city office

Thanks

Dave

You don't need an agent, your fiancee doesn't need to go on your behalf.  There is no need to renew visas during the lockdown.

Don't worry. 

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There is no need to renew visas during the lockdown.

The expense is not going to go away.  When I was in the Philippines on a fixed budget it would really bother me if I could not get to the BI to renew.  Hard enough to rustle up the cash for one extension, let alone leaving it and finding the money for 2 or 3 extensions at once. . .  plus late fees if they tack them on.  I understand that people should relax and not worry about paying the renewal but that is hard to do for some.

However, I doubt any of the agents are operating during the lockdown so your point is well made.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The expense is not going to go away.  When I was in the Philippines on a fixed budget it would really bother me if I could not get to the BI to renew.  Hard enough to rustle up the cash for one extension, let alone leaving it and finding the money for 2 or 3 extensions at once. . .  plus late fees if they tack them on.  I understand that people should relax and not worry about paying the renewal but that is hard to do for some.

However, I doubt any of the agents are operating during the lockdown so your point is well made.

Yes...but...

We are in a lockdown - only urgent trips are allowed.  As the BI have said things are on hold renewing a visa is not an urgent trip so should not be done.  

It is what it is.   

Edit - Sorry if a bit abrupt, Dave...but people's lives are at risk here.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I received an official e-mail from PRA a few days ago also confirming that visas can be renewed without penalties or hassles if done within 30 days of the lifting of the quarantine. So @hk blues advice is true.

For @ducecoop's info... when I was using tourists visas, I used a service called FastPass that is located only a few steps away from BI on JP Laurel. Great service, low prices. I left my passport with them for months at a time when I didn't need it for travel. So I did not go to BI except to leave the country to get the official clearance. When you go to renew, you would need to go in person because you need to simply sign the application...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

When you go to renew, you would need to go in person because you need to simply sign the application...

I think it MAY be possible to get some kind of concession on this on medical grounds.  A power of attorney I guess.  

• Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic