The Visa / COVID interface.

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Chris. There's some info somewhere on this forum saying that six-month extensions were easy to get at the Mactan BI. Well, I don't have to go until early August, so I'll find out then if it's still the same.

graham59
Posted
Posted

As a 60+  (I'm 68) you are permitted to leave the house to conduct important/urgent business...such as extending your stay at Immigration.

I went to the Dagupan BI office (up here in Pangasinan) around 10 days ago, to apply for a 2 month extension of stay, following the expiry of my 'Balikbayan'.

This was duly accomplished without any fuss, in around 45 minutes total.  

My brother-in-law took me there and back in his trike (only one passenger permitted per trike....hence the Mrs being absent), and we were not stopped anywhere, or asked for passes at any point.  

I also stopped off and bought some paint, at the small hardware store on the way back.  

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Late fees aren't that much for anyone who missed the 30 day period. Was only 11k in total for a 5 month extension, quite irritating seeing as I went there last week and they said you had to book an appointment which they didn't think to post online anywhere but oh well:biggrin:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2020 at 6:01 PM, fillipino_wannabe said:

Late fees aren't that much for anyone who missed the 30 day period. Was only 11k in total for a 5 month extension, quite irritating seeing as I went there last week and they said you had to book an appointment which they didn't think to post online anywhere but oh well:biggrin:

What office?  Its online all over their Facebook page and even posted about here with links to the appointment system. Manila and Makati office need appointments. Really everyone should follow their Facebook page to keep up with latest announcements and if you have questions they reply to messages normally quickly using the message system.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What office?  Its online all over their Facebook page and even posted about here with links to the appointment system. Manila and Makati office need appointments. Really everyone should follow their Facebook page to keep up with latest announcements and if you have questions they reply to messages normally quickly using the message system.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/

I was following their Facebook page and it wasn't either of those, that's why it irritated me:biggrin:

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

I read it the same way.

I should be allowed to go out to take care of BI business. 

But BI will not allow seniors in.  (at least Davao city BI

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, ducecoop said:

I read it the same way.

I should be allowed to go out to take care of BI business. 

You might consider hiring an authorized agent to get your visa renewal for you.  I just had another 2 month tourist visa extension granted  to me via  / through my travel agency representative a few days ago in MNL.

peterfe
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, ducecoop said:

I would have thought that you don't need to pay an agent - surely if you go with a friend under 60, he/she can go in and pick up the form, explain the situation to them, and then you sit outside and fill it out. Then your friend takes it back in with your passport, waits a bit, then pays the fees... I'm sure that would work at the friendly Mactan BI, at least - hopefully in other BIs as well.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, peterfe said:

I would have thought that you don't need to pay an agent - surely if you go with a friend under 60, he/she can go in and pick up the form, explain the situation to them, and then you sit outside and fill it out. Then your friend takes it back in with your passport, waits a bit, then pays the fees... I'm sure that would work at the friendly Mactan BI, at least - hopefully in other BIs as well.

Here in Davao, I used an agent for several years. I did not go into the BI building except twice for outward clearance. The agent assisted with that too and made it very easy. They also did not charge much at all - it was well worth it to avoid hassles and waiting for windows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Here in Davao, I used an agent for several years. I did not go into the BI building except twice for outward clearance. The agent assisted with that too and made it very easy. They also did not charge much at all - it was well worth it to avoid hassles and waiting for windows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Sounds like we're spoilt, those of us who use Mactan. No windows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... - in and out in 15-20 minutes usually. If people could only travel to different parts of the country now, I'd recommend it for someone living in another place if they happened to be going to Cebu City or Lapu-Lapu anyway.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic