The Visa / COVID interface.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

They can either shut down their entire economies and face economic ruin, political suicide and in some countries social unrest.

or

determine what are acceptable loses and tough it out until a vaccine is developed. (and face political suicide that way also lol)

I think everyone has been learning from the beginning until now.  Everyone including politicians, scientists, economists, doctors and us, the everyday man.  Given hindsight, and foresight, and the identical pandemic / virus, what would your personal plan be to handle it, if you were in charge?  Don't need it here but perhaps I will start a new topic for this.  I think it would be interesting to see all the ideas.

• Hmm thinking 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2020 at 8:10 PM, graham59 said:

As a 60+  (I'm 68) you are permitted to leave the house to conduct important/urgent business...such as extending your stay at Immigration.

Not under ECQ or GCQ, they specifically and repeatedly said that is not urgent business, over 60 not allowed out for any business, and only one 21 to 60 family member can go out for essentials like food or meds.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I don't have to... I'm there.

We're expecting stage 4 restrictions to be announced this afternoon for Melbourne and surrounding areas (not sure about further rural areas in the state of Victoria).

Probably a good thing (the stricter restrictions) because I'm still seeing a lot of people not wearing masks.

*Edit*

6 week time frame - Official State of Disaster declared.

Victorian metro areas; STAGE 4 RESTRICTIONS - Night time curfew (except for essential work 8pm until 8am), only 1 person to do the shopping per household, shopping only allowed within 5 kilometers of the house, only 1 hour of excercise per person (in groups of not more than 2 people from the same house) and only within 5 kilometers of the house.  All non-essential businesses will either work from home or close, essential businesses will stay open (more details tomorrow).  No longer be able to have visitors at home, or visit other people’s homes if you live in Greater Melbourne and some regional LGAs with significant cases.  Schools will return to remote learning except for where students need special care.

Other Victorian rural/country areas;  STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS  or Modified STAGE 3 (depending upon the LGA)

Welcome to Cebu, :smile:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, GeoffH said:

I don't have to... I'm there.

We're expecting stage 4 restrictions to be announced this afternoon for Melbourne and surrounding areas (not sure about further rural areas in the state of Victoria).

Probably a good thing (the stricter restrictions) because I'm still seeing a lot of people not wearing masks.

*Edit*

6 week time frame - Official State of Disaster declared.

Victorian metro areas; STAGE 4 RESTRICTIONS - Night time curfew (except for essential work 8pm until 8am), only 1 person to do the shopping per household, shopping only allowed within 5 kilometers of the house, only 1 hour of excercise per person (in groups of not more than 2 people from the same house) and only within 5 kilometers of the house.  All non-essential businesses will either work from home or close, essential businesses will stay open (more details tomorrow).  No longer be able to have visitors at home, or visit other people’s homes if you live in Greater Melbourne and some regional LGAs with significant cases.  Schools will return to remote learning except for where students need special care.

Other Victorian rural/country areas;  STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS  or Modified STAGE 3 (depending upon the LGA)

My wife's brother and his wife live close to Melbourne.  I'm not sure what stage they are in but this morning they told my wife that only one person is allowed to be in a car.  They are building a house that should have been done by April, but now it is delayed again.  Their daughter and her husband were also building a house nearby and they snuck the completion in during this last break in the lockdowns, so Mom and Dad moved in until their's could be completed.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My wife's brother and his wife live close to Melbourne.  I'm not sure what stage they are in but this morning they told my wife that only one person is allowed to be in a car.  They are building a house that should have been done by April, but now it is delayed again.  Their daughter and her husband were also building a house nearby and they snuck the completion in during this last break in the lockdowns, so Mom and Dad moved in until their's could be completed.

Sounds like Melbourne stage 4.  There are a few exceptions where 2 people are allowed in a car (taxi driver and 1 passenger, police car, ambulance) but yes generally only the driver.  I think ones children are exempted from that rule also (subject to having an acceptible reason for traveling).

Construction is at 25% staff levels with most small builds (like houses) paused.

Photos of Melbourne look like a ghost town.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Photos of Melbourne look like a ghost town.

Im sure I said this before, welcome to Cebu :laugh:

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic