recommend low-bandwidth streaming site

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

In this Age of Lockdown, we are watching (painfully watching) more movies.  I would LOVE to find a site that streams in 720p or less quality.  Apparently everyone else in the world wants 1080p or 4K, but I would be quite happy just watching a movie that didn't freeze all the time.  

As far as our wifi, we have Sky Cable 50mbps, tested at 49mbps.  

Fmovies and 123movies have always been our go-to sites for streaming, but they are just too high bandwidth. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most of the streaming services offer a download option so you could possibly download and watch later.  No, it's not immediate gratification but with a modicum of planning, it works.  The Angry Midget (wife) is stuck about 2 hours north of a major population centre (not a bad situation IMHO TBH), and her speeds have gone down the shitter for about a week now, but this has been working for her.  The services I'm thinking of are subscription though - Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.  

*Edit:  I just checked Fmovies and if you scroll down there are download options on most of the show's pages. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Now why didn't I think of that? 

Thanks Brett, will give it a try.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, BrettGC said:

and her speeds have gone down the shitter for about a week now, but this has been working for her.

Whilst our internet speed has remained solid, around 12mbps, we have had intermittent problems on Netflix such as slower loading times than normal and poor quality images - no actual buffering though.  Funnily enough, it has gotten better since last Friday but who knows.  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Whilst our internet speed has remained solid, around 12mbps, we have had intermittent problems on Netflix such as slower loading times than normal and poor quality images - no actual buffering though.  Funnily enough, it has gotten better since last Friday but who knows.  

I thought it may just be the streaming service but when we Skype etc it's pretty bad.  A little better today though. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, BrettGC said:

I thought it may just be the streaming service but when we Skype etc it's pretty bad.  A little better today though. 

Yep...i do online teaching using Skype and it is variable but to be honest it has always been the case.

As an aside to this - On my Netflix (through a smart TV) I have zero options to change any settings etc...I am always reading stuff about how you can do this, that and the other but not on my TV!  Anybody any insight into how I can access such settings?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep...i do online teaching using Skype and it is variable but to be honest it has always been the case.

As an aside to this - On my Netflix (through a smart TV) I have zero options to change any settings etc...I am always reading stuff about how you can do this, that and the other but not on my TV!  Anybody any insight into how I can access such settings?

We're normally perfect on Skype or FB Messenger video.

Rather than using your smart TV in-built functionality for Netflix, I find that buying a Chromecast - a little jobby that plugs into one of your HDMI ports - and using your phone as the remote through that gives you more options.  I've always found the TV functionality buggy at best but having said that, my TV is about 4 years old so maybe not optimal.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

We're normally perfect on Skype or FB Messenger video.

Rather than using your smart TV in-built functionality for Netflix, I find that buying a Chromecast - a little jobby that plugs into one of your HDMI ports - and using your phone as the remote through that gives you more options.  I've always found the TV functionality buggy at best but having said that, my TV is about 4 years old so maybe not optimal.  

Thanks - I don't really want to buy another piece of technology though.  I might just log into my Netflix account on the phone and see what options I have there.  

Gator
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

You have to log onto Netflix on your laptop or home computer, then you can change the download speed settings. Once done it should apply to all your devices. You might have to log off of them, then log back on for the changes to take effect.

I recently read that Netflix along with other major streaming services was asked by both the EU and the USA to throttle back their speed as the respective governments are afraid that the their servers may crash. Don’t know if they complied or not. Here in the USA I mostly use AT&T data and haven’t really experienced any issues or noticed any difference in quality, but I already set mine to a lower speed a long time ago to save data (once I use a certain amount AT&T throttles it back)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
On 3/30/2020 at 11:45 PM, BrettGC said:

Most of the streaming services offer a download option

So far I was not able to find this option on Fmovies or 0123movies.  If anyone knows a different or better streaming site, please post it up.