The forgotten victims of lockdown

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Here in Subic Freeport we can't even go for a walk or walk the dog.

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think it must be a week now since I stepped outside our front gate...and I have no intention of doing so in the near future.

Plenty of DIY and gardening , etc,  to keep me occupied and exercised for some time yet. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We don't really have a problem with feral cats and dogs - there are perhaps 2 wild dogs in our small community, and around 8 or so 'feral' cats.  I use the term feral loosely, all of them have "homes" where they are fed and sleep outside - we have 2 of them.  They are great for keeping other vermin at bay and due to their relatively small number, seem welcome in the neighbourhood.  Funny thing is, they do have litters of kittens but those kittens rarely make it to adulthood - we alone have had around 20 such kittens but only 1 has survived beyond 2-3 months.  I believe this is down to the other cats ensuring the population stays stable - we have witnessed our own cat taking her 2-month old kittens away and returning alone! 

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Last week I went out each night with a small amount of dried cat food and fed some of the cats in the IT Park. These cats and dogs normally survive on the restaurants etc like scraps on the ground or patrons giving some food but since nothing is open there is nothing to eat.

By now they must be very hungry.  Not sure If I will get into trouble if I go out to feed them. Should I try it or let them starve? 

I love the askals and pusakals of IT park. I openly fed them many times (and saw many others that feed them) and never got into trouble. It would be great if you try to feed them. It may take a bit for them to trust you though, try feeding them right near the places they usually eat (Jollibee etc). Wish I could help but I am trapped in another city..

19-05_11 Cebu.jpg

19-05_21 Cebu.jpg

Edited by jimdones

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, jimdones said:

I love the askals and pusakals of IT park. I openly fed them many times (and saw many others that feed them) and never got into trouble. It would be great if you try to feed them. It may take a bit for them to trust you though, try feeding them right near the places they usually eat (Jollibee etc). Wish I could help but I am trapped in another city..

There is one problem dog at the moment. Twice it barked at me and other people, rather savage. When me and another person walked past this dog the other day it growled with teeth showing and hair standing up. I turned toward it and yelled. It backed off. Normally the dogs here are friendly but this one is not, maybe hunger is causing it. 

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)

If that happens let him see you leave the food on the ground and walk away. If you turn around once you're far enough you'll see that he's eating it. It's a common tactic I used when they didn't trust me.

I can see your point that some might be more aggressive these days since they're hungry. Or maybe that particular dog came from outside the park looking for food, since the IT park 'regulars' are very friendly as you mentioned.

Edited by jimdones

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Should I try it or let them starve?

Now that you've raised an ethical dilemma for yourself, I don't think you'd be comfortable in letting them starve. But as the owner of 30 cats I KNOW it ain't no cinch feeding a bunch of them.

If you can tolerate them, my advice would be to pick two of the friendliest and take them in. You can't save them all.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

If you can tolerate them, my advice would be to pick two of the friendliest and take them in. You can't save them all.

Live in a Condo and cant do that. Previously I just walked around for a short time in what's called the garden bloc and whatever cat I seen got a small handful. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

"The forgotten victims of Lockdown"

How about the street kids how do they survive this Lockdown?  ( not seen them mentioned in any topics ):5795:

:morning1: Just a thought.........Stay Safe

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

"The forgotten victims of Lockdown"

How about the street kids how do they survive this Lockdown?  ( not seen them mentioned in any topics ):5795:

:morning1: Just a thought.........Stay Safe

I believe they were rounded up and taken somewhere to be taken care of or at least in the cities.  In manila they got the homeless and housed them in tents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic