Is Government Assistance On the Way Now ?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/1/2020 at 9:29 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

On the subject of issuing aid packs from the local governments I think one has to think about how big of a task this is. It's not like you can go down all the nice wide tree lined streets and knock on the door of a house to do so. I would assume the only way it would work is the people come to them at designated distribution centers with ID but even that is hard with lockdowns and not wanting people to gather and no public transport.

There is no easy way to do this.

My only view of it is from Facebook, but Olongapo seems to be getting out some goods to the poorer residents.  I have seen pictures and videos of large trucks of huge bags of rice being unloaded in the city hall area, and then volunteers hand out small bags in the barangays.  This seemed to be centralized at the city level, not barangay.  They give some other things with the rice too.

In our neighborhood, a close neighbor started a FB group, just today, to organize collecting goods and money to buy food and supplies for the Olongapo neighborhoods on our border.  These areas are on the poorer end of the spectrum.  Someone donated p20,000 to get it started and I think it was James Deakin, the car guy, because he seems to know the organizer, my neighbor.  The organizer's daughter calls James Deakin "uncle".  I will probably donate cash because it is hard for us to get out and get supplies.  They have some kind of coop that will buy and distribute.

There are also several efforts to help the indigenous Aeta indians, but those are always ongoing.  Actually they probably don't need any extra help at these times as they still hunt and fish and farm.  The past few days, there was a sponsored sale of fruits grown by the Indians, at a local store.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

My wife's blind sister said they were delivering food and money to residents in Sta Elene Camarines Norte but she didn't qualify because someone is supporting her...NO soup for you!

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Heeb said:

My wife's blind sister said they were delivering food and money to residents in Sta Elene Camarines Norte but she didn't qualify because someone is supporting her...NO soup for you!

Yep...in the past my wife's family were told nothing for you because you have OFWs in the family.

• Sad 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

Dolly here have been giving P5K to those who have contributed to SSS. 

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

According to our Barangays website they know the names and addresses etc of those who are eligible for the payouts , but apparently the money will first go to the civic centre and be distributed to the Barangays according to the Civic centres records ! Judging by what im told about past disasters it will be the usual recipients . 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Interesting.   Yesterday the gate buzzed and the wife was given 4 kilo of rice.  We will include it with our next delivery of food parcels to friends and neighbors who are out of work.  The wife has been cooking almost nonstop for the past week in large quantities and giving away precooked meals.

Kudos to your wife and you, Mike.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

According to our Barangays website they know the names and addresses etc of those who are eligible for the payouts , but apparently the money will first go to the civic centre and be distributed to the Barangays according to the Civic centres records ! Judging by what im told about past disasters it will be the usual recipients . 

How do they know who is eligible - when did they last update the data?  It seems so typical of here -  a perfectly good system that looks great.  On paper.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

How do they know who is eligible -

If they're basing it upon titled land records (and I'm not sure how else they'd do it?  Maybe voter records?) then they're going to miss the huge numbers of people living on 'rights' lots and the arguably even larger squatter communities.  Both groups which are likely less well of than people living on titled lots.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

If they're basing it upon titled land records (and I'm not sure how else they'd do it?  Maybe votor records?) then they're going to miss the huge numbers of people living on 'rights' lots and the arguably even larger squatter communities.  Both groups which are likely less well of than people living on titled lots.

I have no idea what records they will refer to - if any!  I do hope they won't simply base it on who they think are in need as we all know how that will go.  I do worry that support will not go to those who need it most. 

if it's anything like has happened in my sub-division so far I don't hold out much hope as there is no obvious system in place.  Not yet anyway.  That said, I suspect the Barangay think our sub-division is not in need.  

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic