Helping the Needy during Hard Times

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

-4 packs of noodles

-2 canned meatloaf

-a 10 pack of skyflakes

-1 kilo rice

I think it cost us 160P each and we gave about 30.  Actually we just paid for them and the family put it together in the province.  I didn't ask any questions about the choices included, mate.  We must think alike! 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hope not to sound negative but since the topic is under safety and security have you thought about when word gets out of who is giving away food that there might end up a crowd at the front door/gate ETC ?

Hopefully this wont happen but something to think about. :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hope not to sound negative but since the topic is under safety and security have you thought about when word gets out of who is giving away food that there might end up a crowd at the front door/gate ETC ?

Good point.  About two weeks ago (before the lockdowns started) I told Lani we needed to buy a 50 kilo bag of rice "just in case".  We ended up buying nine 50 kilo sacks of rice which we then distributed to the small churches that we partner with.  So if you know someone who is trustworthy and can do the distribution it could be a safer option than giving out to individuals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Excellent point JGF !

I read your and Mike J's comments to the Mrs.

She agreed that we do not want strangers coming who may bring the virus or cause problems. So she already ruled out using the nearby chapel, 100 yards away from our place but on the main beachfront road.

The food packets will only be for the small neighborhood we live in ( isolated pocket separated by rice fields from other hamlets who have different entry roads off the beach road. 

She and her trusted older women helpers know everyone here that they will give the food to, and have made a list. Its only people they personally know. I live in the back corner of this small, 1 dead-end road in, enclave with my bamboo bridge access. Outside my bridge gate are the empty backla's house ( with open space) and a small sari-sari. They will hand it out there and check off the name on the name list. We're only talking 25 packets right now, since each will get 2 kg. rice/other items.

This is a very limited and small assistance project with no expectation beyond a one-off, small helping hand.

• Like 4