PLDT Upgrade

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Good stuff Jim.

Have you any idea if the mesh routers are any different to the wi-fi extenders/repeaters available and that you already have?  The reason I ask is that I'm considering getting one for upstairs but Globe charge way too much for one so i'm thinking about just buying a booster form Lazada or something.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Good stuff Jim.

Have you any idea if the mesh routers are any different to the wi-fi extenders/repeaters available and that you already have?  The reason I ask is that I'm considering getting one for upstairs but Globe charge way too much for one so i'm thinking about just buying a booster form Lazada or something.

@sonjack2847 had a problem that required purchasing from such to cover his rentals, Maybe a word with him would yield some good :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Good stuff Jim.

Everything I have read about the mesh technology says it is better, but they can be pricey.

When I looked at the PLDT website a while back I think they were using Google mesh routers.  Now it looks like they are using TP-Link.

3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Don't know why they sent 3, maybe because we have 3 floors.

They are sold in a 3 pack as a "whole home" solution.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Everything I have read about the mesh technology says it is better, but they can be pricey.

When I looked at the PLDT website a while back I think they were using Google mesh routers.  Now it looks like they are using TP-Link.

Globe use TP-Link as well.  Available as single units or multiples but, as you say, pricey.  Globe are asking for 150php per month for 24 months per unit, so 3600php total.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Globe use TP-Link as well.  Available as single units or multiples but, as you say, pricey.  Globe are asking for 150php per month for 24 months per unit, so 3600php total.  

I think PLDT said p600 a month for the 3 pack, but some packages might include them.

Better to buy them in the U.S. and BB box them.  3 pack TP-Link is $169 on Amazon, about p8600.  Lazada was around p15000, I think.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think PLDT said p600 a month for the 3 pack, but some packages might include them.

Better to buy them in the U.S. and BB box them.  3 pack TP-Link is $169 on Amazon, about p8600.  Lazada was around p15000, I think.

Certainly pricey - Globe's look not too bad if comparable.  

I wonder if it's really worth the investment though, rather than simply getting a standard booster.   

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Good stuff Jim.

A bit different from wifi repeaters, they use what is called a mesh that spreads the signals to every corner of the room, as far as I know, wifi repeaters aim to a specific target.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I pay for the 2099 plan, up to 50 Mbps . Comes with 3 TP Link + Unli calls to Smart/Sun/TNT. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, jimeve said:

A bit different from wifi repeaters, they use what is called a mesh that spreads the signals to every corner of the room, as far as I know, wifi repeaters aim to a specific target.

I really don't know.

I asked the Globe tech guy and he said buy a repeater/booster and plug it in upstairs, link it to the modem downstairs and it will boost the signal from the modem which will make the signal stronger upstairs.  I would then connect to the same modem as before via wifi with a better signal.  In theory.