PLDT Upgrade

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Powerline extenders can work (they're not guaranteed to work but they can).  

They sometimes have trouble sending a signal across phases and depending upon how a house is wired (multiple fuse boxes?) they might or might not work.

But when they do work they're faster most times than a wifi extender.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Powerline extenders can work (they're not guaranteed to work but they can).  

They sometimes have trouble sending a signal across phases and depending upon how a house is wired (multiple fuse boxes?) they might or might not work.

But when they do work they're faster most times than a wifi extender.

You may be able to answer this, Geoff - I've read that these units will only work if they are on the same the same circuit i.e. I have my downstairs outlets on 1 circuit and upstairs on another.  Both on the same fuse box of course.

Any idea?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You may be able to answer this, Geoff - I've read that these units will only work if they are on the same the same circuit i.e. I have my downstairs outlets on 1 circuit and upstairs on another.  Both on the same fuse box of course.

Any idea?

Generally the rule is "they will work on the same circuit", "the may work on the same phase but a different circuit" and they won't work on a different phase or where a switch board is between the two points.

If it does work you should expect reduced speed (and possible reliability issues), I can't be any more definitive than that sorry.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Generally the rule is "they will work on the same circuit", "the may work on the same phase but a different circuit" and they won't work on a different phase or where a switch board is between the two points.

If it does work you should expect reduced speed (and possible reliability issues), I can't be any more definitive than that sorry.

That's pretty much what I've read - it seems a bit of a hit or miss given it's troublesome to try if it turns out not to work.  I'll just stick with using my LAN cable out and in the upstairs/downstairs windows between my laptop and the modem.  It's a little primitive but totally reliable.  

Thank You for the info.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also had the 3 x Google mesh repeaters as part of my package (Home Fibr 250 Mbit/s, which I use to work everyday). I live in a small condo and my work PC is connected to a LAN cable, to get the maximum speed possible all the time. They are a decent solution for moderate speeds (50-80 Mbit/s) but they tend to be a bit location-dependent.

However PLDT offers them for free so...good idea to use them :smile:

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

I also had the 3 x Google mesh repeaters as part of my package (Home Fibr 250 Mbit/s, which I use to work everyday). I live in a small condo and my work PC is connected to a LAN cable, to get the maximum speed possible all the time. They are a decent solution for moderate speeds (50-80 Mbit/s) but they tend to be a bit location-dependent.

However PLDT offers them for free so...good idea to use them :smile:

What is your avg speed through the ethernet connection? Do you get full speed?

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have just drilled a few holes through walls and used long (enough) Ethernet cables to whatever device is in need. 

Am I missing something here ?  :89:

I also brought over from the UK a 'spare' router, which could be used to extend signals, but so far haven't needed to use it. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

However PLDT offers them for free

Not free, they're included in the Mesh package price.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

I have just drilled a few holes through walls and used long (enough) Ethernet cables to whatever device is in need. 

Am I missing something here ?  :89:

I also brought over from the UK a 'spare' router, which could be used to extend signals, but so far haven't needed to use it. 

You're not missing anything at all but it is increasingly common these days for devices (particularly smaller ones) not to have a physical ethernet port.  My larger smart TV has one (although I use wireless) but the smaller one does not and neither does my Google mini, SWMBO's laptop, my laptop, the iPad etc etc.

I too prefer to run a cable downstairs and use a second router (with DHCP disabled) as a wifi hotspot, it avoids the extra cost of using mesh routers (which aren't included with most plans) and works better than wireless wifi extenders or power line extenders.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, baronapart said:

What is your avg speed through the ethernet connection? Do you get full speed?

I get the full speed of the connection, which right now is around 300 Mbps download/upload. The only way I can get close to that speed on WiFi is if I connect to the 5G hotspot of my router and I no farther than 3 meters apart from the antennas.

I tried the Google mesh but it doesn't support 5 GHz, only standard 2.4. The maximum speed I observed was between 90 and 100 Mbps, so I disconnected them shortly after.

SpeedTest.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1