PLDT Upgrade

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't know which provider you use, but I am using Globe and it's impossible to get an internet service without a contract. 

We had Globe PrePaid home internet for a while... no contract.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

We had Globe PrePaid home internet for a while... no contract.

Yep.  Other options are available but as far as I'm aware this is not a "wired" system so perhaps only used by those who cannot access a "wired" system for whatever reason.

I may be wrong, Geoff...it wouldn't be the 1st nor the last time!

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep.  Other options are available but as far as I'm aware this is not a "wired" system so perhaps only used by those who cannot access a "wired" system for whatever reason.

I may be wrong, Geoff...it wouldn't be the 1st nor the last time!

Not sure... I know there was both wireless pre-paid and wireless contract plans available but I don't know if the non-contract plans were available to people in areas covered by wired Globe systems.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Not sure... I know there was both wireless pre-paid and wireless contract plans available but I don't know if the non-contract plans were available to people in areas covered by wired Globe systems.

They are, or at least were, about a year ago because I looked into one as a back-up to our wired connection but they advised the speed would be no better than I could get on my smartphone so I didn't see the point.  

Which brings me back to my original point - I wouldn't be able to get a suitable connection contract- free.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't know which provider you use, but I am using Globe and it's impossible to get an internet service without a contract.

Globe blows. PLDT has had a no lock up plan for years, it's specifically for foreigners (clearly stated on their form).

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

why are we any different to locals in this respect? 

Besides locals generally not having problems with 24 month contracts?  PLDT lock up plans also require additional forms of ID like utility bills, employment, etc.

Another reason it's preferable is because you own the router, the only reasons not to get it are...actually there are no reasons not to get it.

Edited by Shady

hk blues
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Shady said:

Globe blows. PLDT has had a no lock up plan for years, it's specifically for foreigners (clearly stated on their form).

Besides locals generally not having problems with 24 month contracts?  PLDT lock up plans also require additional forms of ID like utility bills, employment, etc.

Another reason it's preferable is because you own the router, the only reasons not to get it are...actually there are no reasons not to get it.

Globe sucks.  PLDT sucks.

Regardless, we don't have any lock-in with Globe.  After the 1st 2 years we were able to cancel anytime with 1 month notice.  All of my neighbours, locals and foreigners, have the same plans and if you check the Globe website there is no distinction in plans for locals and for foreigners.  

As for owning the router - we are on our 4th this far so if we owned the router we would have been hit with replacing them which gets expensive.  

All kinda irrelevant to me as we don't have any PLDT coverage in our area so what to do? :89:

• 2 months later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted

Has anyone got problems with PLDT? This is the only site I can get on without having to wait for 10 minuets to load.

I noticed that some road works on the main road, might be that and I just did a speedtest and got 200 Mbps, I kid you not I'm only paying for 50 Mbps. Strange, It was like this yesterday, Not my PC either the wifes laptop the same. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Has anyone got problems with PLDT?

Jim mate the whole of Negros is like you describe they said Yesterday that it would be for 72 Hours:whatever:

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yesterday that it would be for 72 Hours

Kevin ( @sonjack2847) told me this Morning he was told to off his Modem for 5/10 mins and when it comes back up it should be Fime, I tried it and it is indeed a lot better :smile:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's a nationwide problem - my employer emailed all of us yesterday to say they were aware of the problem.  Apparently, there is repair work ongoing to the underwater cable in Singapore and it's likely to take until 31st to get fully back to normal. 

Only affecting PLDT it seems - Globe is fine.

• Like 2