PLDT Upgrade

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

I really don't know.

I asked the Globe tech guy and he said buy a repeater/booster and plug it in upstairs, link it to the modem downstairs and it will boost the signal from the modem which will make the signal stronger upstairs.  I would then connect to the same modem as before via wifi with a better signal.  In theory.  

My computer is hardwired to the modem with a LAN cable, so I get a good signal anyway. Thinking of doing the same with the guest house. Could you not hardwire yours?

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

My computer is hardwired to the modem with a LAN cable, so I get a good signal anyway. Thinking of doing the same with the guest house. Could you not hardwire yours?

I have hardwired with a LAN cable but it's a long run so i need to drop from 2nd floor to ground through a window every day - it's a pain so I'm looking for an alternative. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Another option is powerline adapters.  I use one in my master bedroom and it works great.  Great for getting around Navy built thick concrete walls!  Extender, mesh or powerline adapter will depend on what you actually need and how much you want to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_5?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

I bought mine almost 4 years ago.  At that time I couldn't find them anywhere and paid a lot at a shop in the mall.  Now they are more widely available and cheaper.  Lazada has them.  After the lockdown!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I have hardwired with a LAN cable but it's a long run so i need to drop from 2nd floor to ground through a window every day - it's a pain so I'm looking for an alternative. 

Mine is from second floor, along the the balcony 5 meters then dropped down the wall, then drilled a hole into the wall, for the cable to go through into my computer. I got someone to do it.

But if you want to go wireless a repeater is what you need, get the best you can your hands on. 

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Another option is powerline adapters.  I use one in my master bedroom and it works great.  Great for getting around Navy built thick concrete walls!  Extender, mesh or powerline adapter will depend on what you actually need and how much you want to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_5?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

I bought mine almost 4 years ago.  At that time I couldn't find them anywhere and paid a lot at a shop in the mall.  Now they are more widely available and cheaper.  Lazada has them.  After the lockdown!

I used those in the UK, worked great but they need to be on the same electric circuit as the second floor. My second floor and first floor are separate circuits. Maybe hk blues are on the same circuit.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Mine is from second floor, along the the balcony 5 meters then dropped down the wall, then drilled a hole into the wall, for the cable to go through into my computer. I got someone to do it.

But if you want to go wireless a repeater is what you need, get the best you can your hands on. 

I did consider a more permanent set up like you describe, but I'm not keen to drill through the 12" thick walls twice.  I did it for the main internet cable to the modem and it's not so bad but I've just decorated so I'm looking for a cleaner and neater alternative.   

I'm hedging toward the wireless repeater option. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I used those in the UK, worked great but they need to be on the same electric circuit as the second floor. My second floor and first floor are separate circuits. Maybe hk blues are on the same circuit.

Yes, they are on the same circuit.  The Globe Tech. guy said a powerline adaptor is the easiest /cheapest solution and we can plug it in in the upstairs hall and still get a signal as it's an open plan staircase so no walls between it and the modem.  

I'll look at one of the computer stores when this is over.

Thanks for the good advice, guys!  

Edit to add - they are NOT on the same circuit, I just checked - only the lights share 1 circuit.  I guess I'll need to use a standard booster.   

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, jimeve said:

Just had an upgrade from PLDt home fibr, an extra P200 for a total 50mbps  and 3 (three) WIFI Mesh TP-LINK  deco routers. Don't know why they sent 3, maybe because we have 3 floors.

The courier who delivered the routers didn't wear any gloves so both Eve and I were reluctant to touch the package with our bare hands, anyhow Eve had a pair of throwaway gloves, she picked them from the ground and took them to the patio, then cleaned the box with alcohol wipes.

Not a clue how to install them and get all 3 working, also we have a repeater going to the guest house so we will let their guys install them, be another 4 weeks wait I suppose. 

We are excited because we finally agreed to make the third floor for apartments, need to get a architect to do the plans, we have been discussing what to do with the 3rd floor for 14 years, so had a long time to think about it. So the mesh routers and extra bandwidth will come in handy.

Why do you need 3 WiFi routers? We have one and everybody is happy with it. Are you opening up a computer shop?:huh:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, jimeve said:

I pay for the 2099 plan, up to 50 Mbps . Comes with 3 TP Link + Unli calls to Smart/Sun/TNT. 

I'm probably paying too much for my PLDT Fibr and Cignal Cable.  I'm still paying the same as when I started 4 years ago.  About p3700 a month for 50 MBPS and a lot of Cignal channels including 13 HD channels.

Until recently our PLDT was actually Subictel, a subsidiary, and their plans were different.  In January, Subitel merged back into PLDT so we are the same as everyone else.  Last year, I went to the Subictel office and asked about ending my plan and getting a new plan that offered the same but was cheaper.  I got the deer in the headlights look.

So now, I might be able to get a new plan for less money.  However, I'm afraid I might jinx myself.  A lot of people in our area complain about PLDT Fibr all the time.  Slow, outages, etc.  A lot of people are using Converge now.  I have actually had really good service with Subictel / PLDT Fibr for almost 4 years now.  If I switch, I might end up in the same boat as the complainers!

Right now 41/49 down/up while connected to ExpressVPN Los Angeles.  I disconnected and get 51/111 on a Pasig server.  For the last two years, most of the time I was getting 100+/200 on local servers.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm probably paying too much for my PLDT Fibr and Cignal Cable.  I'm still paying the same as when I started 4 years ago.  About p3700 a month for 50 MBPS and a lot of Cignal channels including 13 HD channels.

Until recently our PLDT was actually Subictel, a subsidiary, and their plans were different.  In January, Subitel merged back into PLDT so we are the same as everyone else.  Last year, I went to the Subictel office and asked about ending my plan and getting a new plan that offered the same but was cheaper.  I got the deer in the headlights look.

So now, I might be able to get a new plan for less money.  However, I'm afraid I might jinx myself.  A lot of people in our area complain about PLDT Fibr all the time.  Slow, outages, etc.  A lot of people are using Converge now.  I have actually had really good service with Subictel / PLDT Fibr for almost 4 years now.  If I switch, I might end up in the same boat as the complainers!

Right now 41/49 down/up while connected to ExpressVPN Los Angeles.  I disconnected and get 51/111 on a Pasig server.  For the last two years, most of the time I was getting 100+/200 on local servers.

Didn't know that Cignal had cable. Maybe you were thinking of something else?:mellow: