PLDT Upgrade

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Another reason to keep the 2 services separate Tom is that Cignal have a very good customer service whilst it seems that neither Globe not PLDT can say the same.  Also, Globe used to be tied in with Cignal in the way PLDT are now but no longer so it can be a pain in the ass unbundling the 2, especially if so many others are doing so at the same time - I'm not saying PLDT will break from Cignal but who knows.

Thanks again, HK for your thoughts. So I will ponder a while... L thinks there might be cable service available, but we have not checked that yet - so many other things to deal with and I can live without TV for a long time... L, not so much... 

I spent over 20 years without TV and really did not miss it. I read a lot and watched movies... that was it. So maybe the beginning of a grand experiment?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks again, HK for your thoughts. So I will ponder a while... L thinks there might be cable service available, but we have not checked that yet - so many other things to deal with and I can live without TV for a long time... L, not so much... 

I spent over 20 years without TV and really did not miss it. I read a lot and watched movies... that was it. So maybe the beginning of a grand experiment?

My only advice would be to avoid the "local" cable TV - it's mostly local channels or 1980s movies in SD definition.  Cignal may not be the best but it's the best TV choice here - I don't include Netflix as a TV channel.  

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I bought a Fire stick 4k just plug into the TV, it's got loads of free films and  TV shows. All you need is a decent speed internet, 10 Mbps or more. Going to scrap Cignal and film net

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimeve said:

I bought a Fire stick 4k just plug into the TV, it's got loads of free films and  TV shows. All you need is a decent speed internet, 10 Mbps or more. Going to scrap Cignal and film net

Really? That sounds appealing. How much? And where to buy? How does it work?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, sonjack2847... I think I got lost along the way here. Are you referring to Cignal service?

Google mesh

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Google mesh

Got it. We don't need it at the new home. We can be anywhere inside and even a bit outside and we still get a strong enough signal to use with the modem supplied by PLDT.

I tested it again yesterday and it was running about 27/sec so no complaints so far.

Edited by Tommy T.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Really? That sounds appealing. How much? And where to buy? How does it work?

Cost 3k from lazada shopee also sells them. It works by using your internet, easy to setup, just add your password and follow on screen instructions

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Cost 3k from lazada shopee also sells them. It works by using your internet, easy to setup, just add your password and follow on screen instructions

Sorry I am so stupid... but does it act like a modem or what? You mentioned it has TV programs and movies... it is providing access to these somehow?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Sorry I am so stupid... but does it act like a modem or what? You mentioned it has TV programs and movies... it is providing access to these somehow?

It's a media streaming device.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, jimeve said:

It's a media streaming device.

Ah, okay... now I understand - sort-of. I am totally ignorant about streaming and actually a lot of what the internet provides. I am a plugger of old school programming and computer capabilities. But give me a wrench, screwdriver and C basic and I can fly!

• Like 1