PLDT Upgrade

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

What app do you use to play BBC iPlayer?  there are many listed on Android but which one works?

I used a firestick 4k when I tried Surfshark on BBC iplayer, no joy, and they say it unblocks bbc iplayer.

Last year When using express vpn it unblocked BBC iplayer I was using it my PC..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 10/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, jimeve said:

Have you tried changing the protocols in advanced settings. Express unblocked BBC iplayer for me. but not going to pay over 6 quid a month. I get UK tv for nowt through my firestick but still need a good VPN. 

Thanks for the tip. Following your advice, I tried that. Still no success. But I get all the UK TV channels via an Expat TV service, so not an issue for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe I missed it on my perusal of topics?...

But I find that I may require a wifi signal booster for the PLDT router to reach the downstairs part of the new home - mainly for the smart TV using the Amazon Firestick. The last couple days and nights we have had poor signal resulting in loss of programming. L wants me to add Cignal to the PLDT service for "cable" service and I am resisting for now... Any suggestions will be appreciated.

We both find that the Smart cell tower voice and data here is very poor. All we really need would be the voice side, since we have the PLDT in place. Any suggestions for a cell voice signal booster that works?

The VPN gives us access to virtually all USA programming. Before I connected it up on the Firestick, most were blocked.

We find the Firestick works well mostly, but it is limited in what programming it passes along. But, no complaint, better than nothing since we don't have cable access here yet!

Edited by Tommy T.

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

. L wants me to add Cignal to the PLDT service for "cable" service and I am resisting for now... Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you have poor PLDT reception I would not get their Cignal service for obvious reasons. I would get the Satellite Cignal.

Fire stick, you can download third party apps such as Modbro but you need to jailbreak your fire-stick.

Edited by jimeve

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

If you have poor 

??? After this home build, I am very close to poor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

??? After this home build, I am very close to poor!

Pressed the wrong button

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But I find that I may require a wifi signal booster for the PLDT router to reach the downstairs part of the new home - mainly for the smart TV using the Amazon Firestick. The last couple days and nights we have had poor signal resulting in loss of programming. L wants me to add Cignal to the PLDT service for "cable" service and I am resisting for now... Any suggestions will be appreciated.

We both find that the Smart cell tower voice and data here is very poor. All we really need would be the voice side, since we have the PLDT in place. Any suggestions for a cell voice signal booster that works?

The VPN gives us access to virtually all USA programming. Before I connected it up on the Firestick, most were blocked.

We find the Firestick works well mostly, but it is limited in what programming it passes along. But, no complaint, better than nothing since we don't have cable access here yet!

For me, Cignal is as worth having as a firestick etc - I like to have access to "normal" channels as well for news, sports etc etc so wouldn't do without Cignal.  As for the internet issue, maybe an expander would be enough or maybe you can connect the TV to the modem with a LAN cable if that's practical - it may not be?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Pressed the wrong button

I do that with L sometimes... never a good idea. But we still love each other and are best friends!

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

But I find that I may require a wifi signal booster for the PLDT router to reach the downstairs part of the new home - 

I'm not a fan of wireless extenders, they don't work well and they limit the speed of the 'extended' part of the wifi coverage.  I would suggest running a network cable from one of the LAN ports on the router from upstairs to downstairs (yeah I know, easier before the house was finished) and putting a second wifi access point (not router) downstairs.

A mesh type system would make access seamless for all devices moving between upstairs and downstairs but if it's really just for the smart TV that's overkill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

But I find that I may require a wifi signal booster for the PLDT router to reach the downstairs part of the new home - mainly for the smart TV using the Amazon Firestick. The last couple days and nights we have had poor signal resulting in loss of programming.

1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not a fan of wireless extenders, they don't work well and they limit the speed of the 'extended' part of the wifi coverage.  I would suggest running a network cable from one of the LAN ports on the router from upstairs to downstairs (yeah I know, easier before the house was finished) and putting a second wifi access point (not router) downstairs.

A mesh type system would make access seamless for all devices moving between upstairs and downstairs but if it's really just for the smart TV that's overkill.

One of these might work.  I use one for my bedroom and back in the U.S. I used them too.  I don't know this brand but there are name brands out there.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/2pcs-includetenda-p202-200mbps-powerline-ethernet-adapterplc-adapterwireless-wifi-partner-powerline-network-iptvhomeplug-av2-pairs-for-router-home-i335160761-s740190070.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.25.7d9b7abeVn8Acq&search=1