Have you figured it out yet?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

until such time as so many of the population are infected and have recovered that herd immunity starts to have an effect.

And that's a big point, Geoff... Right now nobody knows if there will be immunity so that's an If with a capital I.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

And where the US goes most countries seem to follow.

I think given the number of virus infections in the USA compared to numbers in other first world countries that other countries will be much less inclined to follow the USA lead (at least when it comes to virus protocol) than they would be with other matters.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And that's a big point, Geoff... Right now nobody knows if there will be immunity so that's an If with a capital I.

You are correct, there might not be.  But if you're right about that then we better hope for a vaccine or the world is going to be a very different place.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think given the number of virus infections in the USA compared to numbers in other first world countries that other countries will be much less inclined to follow the USA lead (at least when it comes to virus protocol) than they would be with other matters.

I am just hoping to see a bit of enlightenment on the part of the leaders. Another big If. If they see that opening up too soon - as is beginning to become apparent in China already - makes infections spike again, maybe...just maybe they might figure it out? South Korea seems to have done it right, as has Taiwan. They saw the problem and jumped on it with both feet.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

we better hope for a vaccine or the world is going to be a very different place.

And at best, it appears a cure/treatment or vaccine may take up to another year or longer to ensure it works, is safe and then to manufacture and distribute it worldwide? Nobody could write a novel more sinister than this...

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I worry about the same things. Not so much for me, but for my GF and 14 yr. old son. I've had a good life and if I go because of this, all I can do is accept it.

Took a ride in the car today about an hour ago. Jollibee and Mcdo closed. Savemore closed. Mercury drugs open but not much on the shelves. Puregold still open. Chooks and Baliwag Lechon Manak still open. And supposedly we have at least another 15 days to go on the lockdown. And even that might not be true. 

Yep.  The longer it goes on, the more the weaknesses in the supply chain (human and product) will become apparent.  Let's be honest here, at the best of times the answer 'sorry out of stock' is all too common.   

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

And where the US goes most countries seem to follow.

In many things yes, in the case of corona virus I'm not so sure.  Every country is at different stages of the pandemic so will follow a timetable accordingly.  China, for example, is open for business and has been for a few weeks now.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In many things yes, in the case of corona virus I'm not so sure.  Every country is at different stages of the pandemic so will follow a timetable accordingly.  China, for example, is open for business and has been for a few weeks now.  

That is true, Australia for example is probably only a month behind China in it's progress in controlling the virus but the UK is only a week into flattening the curve and the USA haven't even gotten that far.  With the Philippines?  Who knows... I don't think there is enough testing for an accurate picture of what's happening.

NB Australia new cases graph.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Many bills can be paid online but not all - my electric bill, water bill and Philhealth for example cannot.  Actually, that only leaves my internet and cable TV that can. 

This all depends where one lives.

I can go out the front door of my building and walk 15 meters to 7/11 or I could go about 130 meters to a 24 hour pharmacy. If I wanted to I could go the other way about maybe 150 meters to another 7/11 which is usually stocked quite well but they have to close by 8pm. Or I could go a slightly different direction from home about 130 meters into Metro supermarket which was stocked fine so far.

All my bills are paid online so no issue there. As I say it depends on where one lives.

From the many news stories I read I dont think its an issue with most electric companies about paying on time and not sure if this  payment partners is for anyone but worth looking into for Philhealth

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/partners/collecting/

Have you checked you electrical supplier website to see if there is any information? 

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Death related to COVID-19 are not only due to the virus itself but also due to the stress and mental health issues related to the economy, loss of jobs, isolation for sum, etc. Suicide rates in the US are up since the lockdown's started.

• Sad 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic